Hi Problem with benchmarking the vulnerability providers

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by dhruva_kumar83, Apr 11, 2007.

1. dhruva_kumar83

dhruva_kumar83 New Member

Hi guys ,
    My name is Dhruva Kumar .I ám from india. Presently doing my Msc in germany .
    I have a task which is to benchmark the vulnerability information providers .
    I am not able to start my task my task since i am new this field of IT security . I need to benchmark these providers (for ex secunia , debian etc)based on the acutality , timliness , information content provided by these providers . Is there any website where i can get relevant information on this topic
    regards
    darshan

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi there darshan,

If I understand you correctly what you are trying to do is determine the amount of time it takes providers to patch a vulnerability in their software from its discovery?

I'm not aware of any website that would provide these statistics, but surely the amount of time it takes would be dependant on the nature of the 'hole'?

3. dhruva_kumar83

thank u very much for ur reply
    what u r saying is right it depends on the flaws present in the software ,

my task is not concerned with these flaws but with the providers
    i need to create a benchmarck for selecting these providers based on how quick they distribute the patch or the advisory, the infromation provided by them is well understood by the analysis team or not, will they provide option to automatically store these information in database . i hope i am clear this time

my problem is how can i start with this benchmarking process
    regards

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

5. dhruva_kumar83

thats ok i will just go thru these links
    also i will check the forums of the vendors i think thats good idea
    thank u very much :)