HI, NEW GUY HERE

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by petethemanc, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Molivier

Molivier New Member

I'm not new at all, 15+ years working with computers.... sorry for the hijacking.

Jost trying to add more value to my resume, and to test my knowledge of some "gray" areas of Computer.

To petethemanc, I think that one good way to prepare for the CCNA exam is taking the Network+, it will help you to see where need more study.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: Sec+, Lin+, Ser+, MCSE, CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

With 15+ years of real-world business IT experience, you should be more than fine. :)

Excellent advice regarding the Network+ before the CCNA... that's usually what most of us here advise as well!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. petethemanc

petethemanc Bit Poster

Will take the advice given, on board. Looks like plenty of self education on Network+ then.

Certifications: SDH/PON/AIR BLOWN FIBRE/
    WIP: Network+
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Good luck... :study
    Lots of folks around here to assist when you might need it 8)

5. billynw

billynw Bit Poster

Sorry for jumping on your thred here petethemanc.

But is there any chance you could give some advice on the C&G 3666 parts 1&4.
    I'm thinking about doing it in a few week.

I have post some more info here,
    http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread30040.html

Many thanks
    Billy

Certifications: CISCO CCNA, CompTIA A+,N+. Windows 7 70-680,city and guilds 3666 copper & Fibre
  6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Welcome aboard.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

With your grant you could buy books, but also CBTs are quite useful, the best ive come accross are by a company called CBTnuggets.

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/store?op=category&category_id=3

There is a list of Comptia courses on offer, the best part is you get to keep all this stuff when the year ends, so using this grant shouldnt be a problem, and you will get more value out of it than with a training company.

Im also sure others will post more links to recommended CBTs, books etc, you might as well get CBTs for future as well, depending on what you do books and CBTs for MCSA, MCDST, CCENT, for example.

It really comes down to where your skills lie and what role you are looking for ideally, you may be well served by writing letters to as many companys as possible to introduce yourself and to see if they have any entry level roles available.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

The network plus would be a good place to start, but i'd suggest that you complete it through self study. I'm very familiar with the CTTS course format and I don't reckon it would take you more than a couple of weeks to get through the N+, there is a lot of common ground.
    I am assuming the grant you will be using is the Enhanced Learning Credit ? Be aware that it can only be claimed against a course of NVQ level 3 and above. Unfortunately the A+, N+ are not considered at NVQ level 3.
    The CCNA is level 3 and if you have to use it for something it might as well be for that.

Remember you can use the ELC grant for up to 10 years after you leave the services. As you are eligible to claim the upper tier amount you must have still been serving in 2008, therefore you have plenty of time to get your claims in. Also be aware that you can only claim up to a maximum of £2000 and that 20% of the total course fees must be made by yourself as a personal contribution.

E.g a course costing £2500 = £2000 enhanced learning credit grant plus £500 personal contribution.

Good luck.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  9. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Personal note to self: Check date of original posters thread before offering advice:rolleyes:

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.