Hi, my first post. Help and advice to kick start my I.T Career

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by blue83, Dec 22, 2008.

1. blue83

blue83 New Member

Hi,

My name is Gary, I’m 23 and I’m from Manchester

I have no I.T qualification and no I.T industry experience, only GCSE and i would like a change of career. ( i work as a teaching assistant at a local secondary school)

I been thinking about that i would like to work with networking, cisco systems as i know a friend of a friend who works in this industry and he enjoys it very much

The question i would to ask is what would be the best possible route for me to get to be a certified cisco engineer

I’ve been having a look at a few of the threads in this forum and was thinking about doing a home study Comptia A+ to start with as i know this is entry level

But from there what direction should i take to get my ccna and ccnp qualifictaions.

Ive seen lots of training providers on the internet offering 6 day courses (im not that stupid) and a woman from Computeach came round to sell me a course for £4000 last week, what a waste of 45 minutes of my time

The things is i dont have thousands of pounds to splash out on courses so my ideal route would be self study or part time college courses.

Ive been wanting to get a career in I.T now for some time, im a hard worker and dedicated to my work and every time i ask for advice all they want to seem to do is sell me overpriced or fast track courses

If anyone can help me of what courses i need to do in what order and the time scale this can be realistically done i would be very grateful for the advice

Thanks

Gary

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+, MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Going for the A+ would be a smart move first and followed by the N+ and MCDST.

Unfortunately nobody walks into a systems admin job straight away unless they are very lucky.

The CCNA is meant for people who already work with Cisco equipment and is used to verify that experience.

You could look at the entry level cisco certs to go with the N+.

When you start working in a networking job and you use CSISCO switches etc then you could go for the CCNA.

As for courses you could pay a training company which will cost a lot or you could get the books yourself, set up your own virtual network or a lab and study that way. It's much cheaper and you get all the hands on experience you want.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?