Hi my computers got a problem can you any help

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Vengal, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Vengal

Vengal Bit Poster

I got a AOL cd which takes care of the Broad band installation, but on the final stage of setup it says the ethernet connection is not recognised. its securely connected.......... or do i need to do a manual dial up setup? how do i find out the IP address?

On the second computer it works fine.

Many thanks your help will be much appprciated.

WIP: A+ N+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I have discovered your problem.

I'd recommend setting that CD on fire.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Vengal

Vengal Bit Poster

what do you mean "setting that CD on fire" i never came across that term... but many thanks for the input.

4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Other the BM stirling advice to kill itm, kill it with fire, we need to know, what are you connecting what to and what have AOL supplied you with befire we can help you further. The more information you give us the better.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the LAN connection enabled in device manager?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Vengal

Vengal Bit Poster

I think it STP ethernet cable running from the D-link modem to the computer..... *What does kill it with fire mean" its a ADSL interent ethernet thing...... connected to the phone line.

the Cd is a Easy install CD AOL broad band..... wat other details do u need?

Many thanks for your input.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It means to take the CD, douse it with your favorite combustible liquid, and (carefully!) ignite the liquid, thereby setting the CD on fire, rendering it utterly unusable.

Disclaimer: Please do this in a safe environment, as I do not want to be responsible for you setting something of value on fire.

The reason I suggest this is that AOL is just about the worst (if not THE worst) service provider (and here I use the term "service provider" rather loosely) in the world. Any tech worth his salt will agree.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I am a tech, I am worth my salt, and I agree wholeheartedly with the above.

My advice is to change 'service' provider as fast as humanly possible.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

Greetings.... did you check The Network Adapter to see That it was Properly Configured....are you Recieving Broadband service Through your Cable Provider.... also Can you access the Internet.w.o AOL using Internet Explorer, Firefox etc....Try going to "My Computer Right Click Properties, Then Hardware, Then Device Manager.. and Look @ your Network Adapters.. if it says "OTHERS" in place of The adapters. Then Thats your Problem.... you can check your IP address..If you Use Windows 2000 / XP Pro or Home... Follow These steps... go to START then RUN then Type CMD then you should see a Black Box commonlly known as "DOS PROMPT" Enter " IPCONFIG / ALL and you should see your 1-Ethernet MAC Address, 2-your IP address, 3-your Subnet Mask, 4-Your Default Gateway and 5-your DNS Servers...... if you have a Windows Vista Machine.... the RUN option will not appear by default... Just Change your Start Menu to Classic.... Right Click on Start.. Select Properties Then select CLASSIC start.... and Follow The same Steps Just Mentioned....Note.. If you do Get a Valid IP address.. Then Try Pinging something... EX: ping yahoo.com... you should recieve 4 replies....or timeouts..... Hope This Helps.. Otherwise Please provide additional Info so we Can better assist you with your Issue... Good Luck....8)

Certifications: A+ Network+ Security+ IT PRO MCP CNST
    WIP: MCSA / CEH
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You don't need to do that to shell out to a command prompt in Vista. All you need to do is type CMD in the default *start search* box and press return. The same is true for anything else you would have typed in the RUN box in XP.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

Absolutely.. yes you can you That Option also...

12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Does your shift key work ok?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

As many others in this thread have said; I would recommend getting a different broadband supplier. How about Virgin\Blueyonder\Talktalk\Be.. etc?
    I'm quite shocked that you have the ability to register to forums and post, yet haven't taken note of the worlds' hate of AOL. :p

You are well on way to being a CEH, sir!

WKey + R ftw?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

AOL is pants and their CD is pants. I used to be with them and had the same problem with their crap cd, sometime you would have to try two or three times to get it to work.

I recommend you follow BMs advice :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Are you allowed to install it on two different computers?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Considering it's AOL, if it's not working I'd say you've installed it successfully...

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  17. danielno8

you shouldn't be allowed to install it on one let alone two.

However, if it's just ISP software for connecting to their service, it's not gonna come with a licence saying only to be installed on one PC.

18. comp_ junkie

comp_ junkie Bit Poster

Its Funny how a person Registers to a site to get help.. and all youall can do is Bash....... As for My shift Key Working... I will be shifting My way out of this site.......Secondly I am Not ONE WITH PROBLEM installing software.... Those of you who really have The Talent.. spend there time Looking Like a Bunch of ASSES.... as for the topic Of DUMPS...I may have used Them... but it seems that This Place Has Certainly Inherited some.... DUMPS.......

19. danielno8

It's not just the fact you used them, it's that you flaunted and defended their use.

ciao

20. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

"A LOL" more like, amirite?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM