Hi, im new

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by GeneralLee, Apr 20, 2007.

1. GeneralLee

GeneralLee New Member

Hi everyone, Thought I would say hello and see if anyone can offer some advice? I’ve been reading a lot of the threads and it all seems a bit daunting really.

Ive been looking for a job in IT for a good 5years and find it increasingly difficult to get into it. I did an advanced GNVQ at College and did a HND in Computing afterwards. I couldn’t spend enough time doing either a degree or a BSC like I planned for personal reasons. I’ve been on a few interviews but with no success really, so when I found out about this website I thought id sign up and see if there was anyone who could help me. Im not really sure about where I want to start. Some seem to say the A+ is the starting block but is that really necessary seeing as I have these qualifications already. Is this the place where you have to start? Is it worth toppin up my HND to an honours degree first?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to the CF forum, I think it would be profitable for you to start with the A+ to have a good grounding in computer hardware component coupled with break and fix.

On the other hand a degree is always useful but not the qualification that would almost always land you a job in the IT world especially with IT support.

The A+ and after word MCP would get you noticed more by IT recruitment agencies. You mentioned you have been seeking employment in IT for about 5yrs now that is not uncommon as the IT career field is ever changing and very competitive in other words not for the timid or faint hearted.

If you are willing to work hard and are determine then with time and this type of mentality you'd soon find yourself in an IT role. Start small via 1st line help desk and progress from there onwards.

I think you might want to work on your communication and self confidence. Best wishes and if you still want to pursuit a career in IT then work hard and don't give up. I did and so could you or even anyone else for that matter.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF!

Start with A+.

7 pints having an effect on me, so thats all I have to say! :ohmy

:biggrin

4. GeneralLee

GeneralLee New Member

Thanks for your support onoski and your welcome simon. I’ve been looking at the website for it- I think that I will have to give it a read through and search a few more threads. Im a little confused as to where and how you sign up for these courses although I have only been on the site a while. Any quick guides for me?

5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

A degree is different from certification. Both are useful, but they're different. So even though you can probably already do the stuff on the A+ exam, you don't have the piece of paper to help set yourself apart from your competition. If it's easy for you, it shouldn't take you long to get it.

The reason why you aren't having much luck getting an IT job may be because of the jobs you are applying for. Are you applying for entry-level positions? Even with a college degree, you have to get your start in IT and work your way upward from there. Those with skills and knowledge and certifications and degrees will tend to climb the career ladder faster.

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

My 2 pence worth. It all depends on what field you want to get into. If, for instance, you want to go the cisco route, then you can start studying for it right away and get certified within 6 months.

That's what I did. And I had absolutely no IT background whatsoever.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

5 years?!??!?! :blink

How many jobs have you applied for mate? Seriously! Either you are not applying for the right jobs or are you are not doing yourself justice in the interviews.

In regard to certs go for the A+, this isn’t covered in any HND then start firing out your CV and get that IT job! 8)

Best of luck! :biggrin :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Abbsta

Abbsta Bit Poster

Welcome to CF. I can't add to what already been said so, good luck.

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCDBA and MCAD C#.NET
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Hello :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  13. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

In my opinion, top-up to a BSc by doing this part-time (2 evening a week with your local Uni/college) and study for the A+ inbetween.

This may sound like alot, however if you look at it this way: To get your BSc all you need is the minimum passing score/grade of 40% (anything above this is a bonus). And to pass the A+ is about 50%.

Professional certs and academic qualifications compliment each other, and IMO give you a better grounding for present and future development. For example there are alot of technical jobs out there requiring professional certs, however as I've been keeping my eye on future job prospects, there are alot of higher end jobs (making the move into higher management) requiring professional certs, educated to degree level as well as experience.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  14. GeneralLee

GeneralLee New Member

Thanks for all your advice, its a lot to take in so i'll let you know how i get on. As for interviews Sparky iv had at least 10 mainly enrty level ones but obviously not cutting the mustard in them :cry: When i had got my current job i was told that it would develop into a IT technician role, but that has never happen, i use a computer more at home than at work. :x

15. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ahh, on the plus side it shows that your CV is doing the business.

You did you feel the interviews went?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. GeneralLee

GeneralLee New Member

The first ones i had weren't very good as i was new at the whole interview thing. Then after i got more experience i got down to the final few people a couple of times. I thought id got one in Sept last year as i thought that the interview went great and seemed to get a good rapport with the people. But i said something they misconstrued (i said that i always tried to complete task to the best of my ability and always spent time ensuring i done a good job, but they didnt seem to be looking for someone like saying i would take to long in fixing them and not enough time on other things) and so i wasnt selected. So i thought that i would try this site to see if this could give me any pointers in getting the "edge" so to speak on other candidates