Hi, I'm in need of huge assistance..

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Britanks, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Britanks

Britanks New Member

I have a quick question, whose answer will almost literally save my life, I hope i I can find help here...

In March, I began my A+ Certification at my local college. We purchased ELEMENT K textbooks for the class...I been reading them until now with slow steady progress

Later on I found CBT NUGGET's video approach, and while I preferred watching to reading, the videos were way too long, like 45min average, and perhaps much TOO detailed, so I never followed.

Recently I stumbled upon PROFESSOR MESSER's collection of videos. They seem like the perfect combo..They're short, to the point and well explained.

So I prefer MESSER's videos to the other two, but i'm worried that after 6months of reading the books only to start again on another media would be a mistake. What are your opinions???

Which of the 3 seems like the best way to go according to your experience??????
    Help please, thanks in advance

PS: Sorry If I shouldn't have asked here but I really must know, Thanks everyone

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

If you feel confident you know the material covered in a video skip it, although in any IT exam its better to be over prepared than under prepared so you will lose nothing (except time) and maybe gain something your current training has missed.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The media doesn't really matter, as long as you are comfortable with it.

The content is going to be pretty much the same - the A+ syllabus. The more times you go over it the better, so switching media won't hurt.

On the downside, you need to make sure you aren't just switching media all the time because you're getting bored or struggling to cope with the content. That doesn't bode well for the future.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I usually tend to read a book, do some hands on and then watch the videos series. It is time consuming and I'm considering skipping the book when I move on to Exchange and just doing the video series but I'll probably end up doing the book too for fear of missing out on something.

Like Kevicho said; it's better to be over prepared than underprepared. On a side note I only ever read a book for A+ and found the exam easy. The videos came in handy when I moved on to my Server Admin stuff.

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!