Hi I.m new here (looking for first real Job in IT).

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Baron210, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

Hi all,

I'm a noob here, and looking for a total change of direction into IT (Desktop Support Technician, or Helpdesk Analyst).
    I've been building, troubleshooting PC's and various other systems for 26+ years, and at 43 yrs old, realised the clock was ticking age wise, and so I took a step back from being a Logistics Manager (Transport), and decided to pursue my dream of working with Hardware / Software.
    I did an exam with a company called Cerco training, and although not internationally recognised, I phoned the British computer society for some bacground info on Cerco (because I didn't want to blow £5000.00 on a dodgy company), and they had nothing but good words about them, and stated that they employ some ex-Cerco trained staff.
    My next move (having only completed my course with 100% pass grade a week and a half ago), Is to take the Comptia Network plus in a month's time at a local college to me (£335.00) and in September, take the first of four Cisco CCNA modules - £300.00 ea. (of all aspects IT, Networking is the area that excites me).
    Eventually, I would like to move into Network Security.

Have secured two Interviews already for one and two weeks time, Please wish me luck! (God knows, I've applied for so many Jobs online that I thought I was bound to get some positive response). Cerco are also looking hard to place me in a Job....

Thanks Martin Schwanke AKA Baron210 (Website http://www.atpf23.dsl.pipex.com )
    :p

(Heres a Pic of the Cerco Certificate plus two other certificates I gained whilst with Royal Mail, Common to a few of my ex-Royal Mail collegues, My long service award resides in the toilet (wall mounted - not in the porcelain)!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Certifications: Cerco CCSN comptia A+ & N+
    WIP: Cisco CCNA (Aiming for CCNP)
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

All i can say is keep plugging away with the job hunting! Dont give up - just keep applying even to jobs you dont have exactly what they looking for - there are fokes here who managed to convinced future employees that although they didnt have the required certs and experience they would work hard. When you get the foot into the door everything will take off!

Good Luck! :thumbleft

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Best of luck with the certs and the job hunting.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to the mad mad world that is IT! :biggrin

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi mate,

Hope all goes well with the job hunting...

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome to CF, Martin. Hope we can help out :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome aboard. Good luck on the job front- don't forget to tell us how you get along :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Martin. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

Welcome Baron210,

Be a devil and fill in your profile, which you can continually update by clicking on the blue bar above where it says
    'User CP'.

What does a Logistics (Transport) Manager do? Cause I might apply for your job if you are in the Bristol area! :blink :D

Congratulations on your achievments.

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  10. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

In reply to that question, A logistics managers role briefly outlined, (Transport management), generally Organises routes, responsible for Fuel Ordering, Man management (Drivers), Tachograph control and compliance with drivers hours regulations according to EEC ruling.
    There may be much more involved depending on employers requirements / job specification such as budget management and dealing with (F)ast (M)oving (C)hilled (G)oods FMCG.
    and a good understanding of general vehicle law and road haulage operations is advantageous, as is a willingness to work across all shift patterns (Early/Late and Nights).
    Never a dull moment, but I simply want a change of direction (IT excites me more)...

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good luck Baron and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. unemployedstudent

unemployedstudent Byte Poster

Thanks Boron210.

Certifications: BAISA(hons) Degree, ECDL.
    WIP: A+, CompTIA N+, CCNA
  13. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  14. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

Thanks for all the welcoming's (I'm really glad I found this forum- load's of usefull info and support).
    Have applied for 90+ jobs so far, and only secured one interview (and they were decent enough to let me know in advance that it's a panel interview and psycometric testing), but in a masochistic way, I look forward to it, and i'll make every effort on the day to do my best, using the tips on this forum.

Thanks Baron210 :p :p :p

15. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

You also may have to sake something you really hate (like first line in a call center) to get your foot in the door.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  16. Baron210

Baron210 Bit Poster

Hi again (thanks for all of your comments, and I re-did my CV - Same information, but much better layout, and "Back to front" now, My CV is two pages, and used to start with a small profile paragraph and my work history, but on reading a useful guide on this site to "killer CV creation", I have now reversed this, had a think about 6 good examples where I had to start a job in the past and "turn it around", and I,ve now got achievements listed on the 1st page instead.
    Being as the average potential employer / agency takes less than 20 secs to quick scan the document, mine now has a much greater impact (the proof is in the amount of phone calls i've had lately).
    I've now got an interview in two weeks for a sub-contract position repairing (breakfixing) for IBM.

Gonna try my best to clinch this one !

:rolleyes: :p :biggrin

17. AWD Freak

AWD Freak Bit Poster

Martin, hows it going matey, it's George, I've now joined and thought I'd say hello, for those who don't know, I was in the same course as Baron210, and those 4 weeks were very intensive but not only have I gained a few well valued friends, I have gained a job out of that course, best £4995 I've spent!

George

Certifications: CCSN
  18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009