Hi Ho Hi Ho (It's off to Job Hunting we go)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by adsl_alc_20190.bin, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

No harm in trying but these people who decide to hire are complete and utter idiots. Let hope they see common sense and prevail and all the employers tell him to get lost.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  2. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Good luck if you get a job. It looks like you can get yourself a job, but can you keep it?

Why have you had so many jobs?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I'll be honest, I have a friend who's first job was a Systems Administrator for a smaller scale company, like a 15-20 person. However aside from being small, it still did have Exchange, AD, File Servers, etc... and he's done pretty well for them. He upgraded a lot of their servers, documented, implemented new technologies and learned a lot. Both of us did the exact same program however I started as a Desktop Support Tech and got promoted to a Network Administrator 2 years later. However I work for a 400 user company and the our network is a lot more complex then where my friend is at. We went on different paths and both met our goals.

With that said, I do have to admit that the two years that I did level 1 and 2 work, I've learned a lot, it actually made me comfortable to take on tasks that are more complex and succeed. Sure I made mistakes along the way, but I've learned.

I completely understand that you don't want to do help desk and honestly, no job is worth it, if you're going to be miserable doing it. You could always apply for a network associate positions where you can shadow other network engineers and learn from them. You could also take desktop support type jobs where you have the exposure to a networking world.

Anyways good luck with your search.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

MDs of what? IT companies?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. adsl_alc_20190.bin

adsl_alc_20190.bin Bit Poster

Why all the negativity,
    You are all entitled to your own opinions and I respect them all but this Country is full of negativity.
    We all know there are limited jobs, people struggling to make ends meet, taxes through the roof.
    But negativity breeds negativity, I like to stay positive no matter what happens in life. I am no fool, I know how daft I may look, but it works for me and that’s that!
    I have never used a T.P why would I need to listen to someone teaching me something when I can do it myself. £100 for a Cisco lab a legit copy of CBT nuggets and a couple of press books and I was away.
    I know how industries work, The M.D is just my foot in the door, I’m not worried about the interviews with the I.T people, why should I be? They are human beings not Monsters (as my daughter would say). What’s the worst that could happen? If I don’t get the job there will be a next time, but every interview just makes the next one easier.

Certifications: ccna, mcts windows 7
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Having a CCNA no more enables him to "know his way around a network" than me having a cookbook enables me to "know my way around a kitchen."

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

I must say the guy has balls, i.s.o. applying for jobs and waiting till somebody will bother to answer
    he did right thing by calling, who knows, maybe they will be looking for trainee somewhere
    good luck mate

PS. Once I was told by one manager: if you won't be stubborn and annoying you will never get anywhere higher in this country, and I think he was right

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Doing CCNA stuff from a book and in a home lab is totally different from real world tasks.

I dont think you are understanding, we are trying to tell you that hardly anyone ever walks into a networking job without experience of doing it before. These positions are worked towards, you do not have to start on a help desk you could start as an IT tech or field service tech where you do a bit of everything and gain much needed experience. Then you can get where you want. We are trying to say that working towards this sort of positon is neccessary to learn how the industry and everything else works.

Any IT manager that hires someone with no experience to support their network is completly nuts imo.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

LOL! Guys, he gave you a clue earlier on in that he's a blagger! You've all been blagged! Ignore it and move on!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  10. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Have you read your cookbook?

:study :chef

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good point sir.

Was almost taken in by the BS myself there... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. BosonMichael

Yup... and I'm STILL no cook! :ohmy

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

The CCNA is simply not as worthless as you make out. There is a lot of networking theory which you just don't learn from experience.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  14. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Ha, just read this all from the top, what a larf!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I don't think BM is saying the CCNA is worthless, he is saying it's worthless for someone to have the CCNA who is looking to get their foot in the door. Yes there is theory in there which is worthwhile to know there's no doubt about that but the fact is the CCNA is for people to validate their work experience and knowledge of working with CISCO hubs and switches on a day to day basis.

We have had so many people on here (which I can't count on both hands) that have gone for the big certs and then can't figure out why they can't get a job. Snow White was a rememberable member who (if I remember correctly) had the MCSE and also a Masters degree and she couldn't understand why she could not get a job.

The fact is she was applying beyond her experience level but as soon as she knocked the MCSE of her CV she got a job. NOw the OP could do this but then he will have re-do the CCNA since it has to be redone every three years and whilst he will still have the theory it probably wont do him any good until he progresses into a networking role anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

I don't think it's worthless for trying to get your foot in the door, after all, it is designed for people with little experience. The problem occurs when people pass and start applying for network engineer roles and other higher tier networking jobs, with no experience they mostly fail. If someone is applying for an entry Network position then there is nothing better (but these jobs are few and far between).

If someone were to ask me if they should go for N+ or CCENT I would choose the latter - they both teach fundamentals and the CCENT will further give you an introduction to Cisco devices, services etc. When we take the price of the respective exams into account there is little reason I can see to take the N+.

As I say though, junior Network positions are difficult to find so you are best to get a good grounding in varied disciplines and certifying in those. This not only helps in your overall development and salary worth, but can also lead internally to that network position you always wanted.

17. BosonMichael

Congratulations for misinterpreting my posts yet again. I never said the CCNA is a worthless certification. In fact, it is a wonderful certification for the very reason you describe: testing on network theory. But it doesn't automagically qualify someone to fill the role of a network administrator.

Please, Daniel, listen to the words I say... not the words you think I say.

18. danielno8

Your analogy says that having a CCNA, will NOT improve someones ability to look through a network and be of ANY use.

I also never said you said it WAS a worthless. I said it was not AS worthless as you make out. I also never said it automagically qualified someone to be a network administrator, so why you tagged that point on i do not know.

My point was simply that there Is a lot of theory in that exam, which the OP will now have in his locker. The rest of the argument about the benefits of having the actual CCNa has been done to death and i don't intend getting into that.

19. danielno8

repped

20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Maybe, maybe not. Kobem also has the CCNA.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685