hi have a o/s qs!

Discussion in 'A+' started by zaf96, Jan 15, 2007.

1. zaf96

zaf96 New Member

can u have two os installed in the folder?

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Depends which folder you are on about.

Please Read the Private Messages you have been sent. :dry

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You can have more than one OS on a machine.

However, they normaly won't appear as 'folders'. Usualy there will be a selection screen on startup to chose which OS to boot.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

If your talking about 2 OS's on the same drive and partition both in the C:\windows folder then no.

You could have a 'Windows' folder and a 'Windows1' folder (or what ever you choose)

They have to be in different directories or Windows gets it's knickers in a twist.

With dual boot Windows NT (C:\winnt) and XP (C:\windows) it will default to a different directory. eg Winnt.001 etc so it will nto use the same root folder.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

While you *can* have more than one copy of Windows on a drive I would suggest that this is a bad move.

I've seen too many such systems get into a complete muddle mostly because of badly written software installation progs.

Because of Windows habit of dropping things like DLLs in seemingly random places I normaly keep windows versions apart on separate drives!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+