Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by chriskilga, Dec 5, 2006.

1. chriskilga

chriskilga New Member

I am completely new to all of this, so please go easy.

Just started to look into IT as a career option after many years of going nowhere jobs.
    Everything seems really interesting, but there is so much to take in and work out. Where to begin and start a career is the main thing. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Where to start would depend on where you want to go to. If you have *no* idea of that then perhaps a foundation course at a college might be an idea.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. chriskilga

chriskilga New Member

Hi and thanks.

Been looking through various courses and spoke to someone from Advent. They recommended undertaking the MCSE course. I have looked around and people recommend the A+ course first of all, but this is part of the MCSE course with Advent.

Seems interesting. Any opinions would help me greatly.

Thanks

4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum.

The A+ is a very good place to start, but the MCSE leads to quite a specific skill set and until you are sure what direction you want to take, it may be best to avoid it. Also, it's a lot of work, especially if you have no prior knowledge or experience. Don't commit to too much to soon. Go for an A+ or similar "entry-level" course (self-study or through a local college) and maybe that will give you some ideas of what direction you want to take.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd also recommend the A+, then move on from there. The MCSE is *very* difficult without first getting a base foundation of knowledge, including hands-on experience in a real-world network environment.

Best of luck! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF! Maybe do the A+ then the N+ for starters, and then take it from there

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. chriskilga

chriskilga New Member

Thanks for the advice.

Does taking this course open up career possibilties for me?
    Also, the A+ is part of the Advent course, so I would be startting with this anyway if I undertake this course.

Thanks

8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

No course will open career possibilities unless you have some experience or get a very entry level position. I'm afraid it's a catch 22 - you won't get a job without experience and you won't get experience without a job. Just do a search on these forums and you'll see many people in that boat. You just need to perservere and one day you'll get that break.

I can only repeat what I said above:
    Also, without work-based experience, the MCSE will be both next to impossible and likely as not, next to useless. You have to combine certs and experience to make yourself as attractive as possible to an employer.

WIP: 70-270
  9. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello and Welcome:biggrin

I agree with Baba on this, the A+ is a great entry level cert that will help you understand some of the basic concepts.

Regarding possible future jobs, experience is the key! When trying to make the first steps into the IT industry try to focus on the types of skills that will be needed for the position. Most entry level jobs are working on a helpdesk / 1st line support, so make sure you can show your future employers that you've gained the relevant skills, that can transfer from other industries. i.e. Customer focus skills, Call logging and working with SLA's.

WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff