Hi everyone, want to know more about Commsupport Network

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by gift07, Jan 14, 2008.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi Joe.

As regards the pre-reqs for people coming on the course... I haven't done CCNA so I don't know what is required; however, as a minimum, I would expect them to know IP, CIDR, what a Classful and Classless subnet is, possibly how to work out how to pinch bits from the host, and so on.

Giving questions and getting them to 'google' the info before the test would be good too. It means they have to research to help them pass. If they don't 'google' they don't get the info... but you have to make sure they can't learn the stuff parrot fashion... they have to gets to grips with it and understand it. if they don't show an understanding then they don't go on the course...and that way neither they, the other students or you are disappointed.

Cheers

John

2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hi John

We teach IP subnetting on the free one day course, we also teach them basic cisco command line, spanning tree and vlans, as of our last free one dayer we also show them how to build basic networks using a network sim, so they can go away and practice with at home, we hope from this they will get a taste of what might be in store for them, sweet or sour, it's just a taste, but until that eat the whole meal, nobody can tell if they are made of the "right stuff".

But we stress that we do not offer jobs or 100% exam success, like me being told by the owner of a night club that if I come to his place that I will pull for sure, nobody can offer this promise, despite being quite a looker if I may say so:biggrin

It could be like airport check-in :

"Excuse me sir, did you pack these bags yourself?, yes,!. What's the third network with a 240 mask, taking subnet zero into account?"

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Ooh.. Ooh... hang on.. i know that one... <gets pen and paper out and starts working it out...>

Seriously, if you make no promises of CCNA certs or ridiculous job offers at the end of the course, then it becomes another study aid. As you say, the person on the course has to be aware that they need to do their own study as well.

Now lets move onto what you're really here for... I hope... to give us peeps the benefit of your wisdom on LANs, WANs and all things CISCO... :D

Cheers

John

4. cisco lab rat

No book from amazon, or pile of kit from ebay or training company can promise you success in the I.T job market, it is down to your hard work, putting all of these individual components together to give you the complete package to get you ahead.

Regarding using me as a study aid, go nuts, being the helpful sort of chap that I am, and since you are a nice bunch of people please ask away.

I will roam the corridors of this forum in the twilight hours rattling door handles looking for people in distress, I will assist in anyway I can. My advice is without clause or condition.

Cheers

Joe

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Rather than explain what has been explained in detail throughout the rest of the forum, I will simply say as someone who has been a real-world tech AND who has worked in certification training, I wholeheartedly disagree.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. gift07

gift07 New Member

Hi everyone,

I have to say thanks to you all for responding my question.

I wanted to know about Commsuport and I made a trip to London as I live in Leicester to see for myself. I went to Commsupport last Sunday (20/01/2008) and met Joe (Instructor/Owner) and the students.

I have to admit, going there at the first place was a little difficult task as I never been here be4. I saw two rooms full of students about 10 each. Joe was teaching in one room and I was welcome to sit there and see what they were doing. It’s big enough to accommodate everyone and the room was full of many switches and routers and everyone were doing hands on troubleshooting. I spoke to some of the students and they all seem to like the course and the teaching method. I think Joe is passionate about what he does and I am going to take ccna course with commsupport. One thing everyone agrees, there is no alternative but selfstudy but I am positive trainers like Joe can make it easier.

Many thanks again for your time.

7. Kolvin

Kolvin New Member

The course is fantastic. Considering I have never touched a switch \ router I feel very confident I will become a network engineer. The labs were excellent, to get that hand on experience was invaluable and the break\fix practicals were fantastic.
    I don’t live in London, I live 200 miles away. After talking to Joe I decided that this was the course for me. My first days training, I left my home at 4am and drove the 200 mile trip to London to meet Joe and sit my first day.
    I was unable to attend my very first day due to a family upset. This made me very nervous as the basics I had missed and I had not done any CCNA work before.
    By the time I reached London I was shattered. I had only slept for 1 hour prior to waking up and setting off at silly o’clock. During the day I really started to deteriate, I was tired, very nervous and it seemed that everything being said was going straight over the top of my head.As I said I had missed the first day so I found myself thinking – No way can I do this – What is he on about? By around 3.30 in the afternoon I was ready to give up! Joe came to see me outside and asked if I was ok? After a brief chat with Joe I felt a lot better about things – I was still so tired that I hardly new where I was let alone learning my CCNA. I was so tired that I was at breaking point at the end. I couldn’t even talk I was so bad!
    Once I arrived home that evening around 9pm – I sat with my book and skim read through what Joe had taught me that day. I had told myself that this was so hard i could not do it! I had told myself that I had no idea what Joe had said to me – I had forgotten the lot! How wrong I was - I have never felt so silly! Everything that Joe had taught me that day had stuck – I felt confident and happy and couldn’t wait to go back (I do the course once a week on a Sunday)
    If any body should have quite or doubted what was going on then it should have been me! Driving up on my second week I didn’t even remember the journey due to how tired I was the first time.
    NO ONE in their right mind can slag off Joe or his course! It is a fantastic course – In depth I agree but that surely that is what you are paying for? BUT very relaxed and sort of go at your own pace which was good, not like others where you have to be finished at 5 and if you don’t understand "tuff" we need to crack on to be finished for Friday – I have looked into many boot camps and they are of the same intensity.
    I DO NOT BELIVE for one second that the person who has written bad comments about this course has actually even been on it! If they had they would not have said anything like what they did!
    Joe is a wonderful guy! The course is fantastic! I have recommended it to everyone I now including the company in which I work for.
    If any one is serious in becoming a Network Engineer – Then Joe and his course is the path you need to take.

I will add this to every forum I possibly can. I can not thank Joe enough – Joe you’re a star &#61514;
    IDIOTS BEWARE – Your comments do not wash!

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

spam? either that or someone has a crush on the tutor. :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Kolvin

Kolvin New Member

No not Spam!
    Crush on the tutor lol
    He is a great guy who runs a great course!
    I back up everything i have already said
    '' FANTASTIC COURSE and GREAT TUTOR''
    Dont knock what you have not tried :D

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

More "love" from a first-time poster. :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Kolvin

Kolvin New Member

Spread the love - whats wrong with that hehe :D

12. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Looks like. From the first post down. However......

Cisco, you say your willing to offer help and advice to the members here. Your advice is without clause or condition. Then I say Welcome.

And if you manage to attract a measureable amount of business as a result, so be it. There are others here who benefit professionally from their membership here. But please, give us a little credit.

13. cisco lab rat

Sorry for the huge delay in replying to this thread, the classroom does take up a lot of my time.

Sorry to disappoint, but I do not spam, I don't have enough time, or the wit, or the inclination to spend time spamming, I can market my courses by other means.

If this forum has "attracted measureable amount of business" I would need the smallest ruler in the world to measure that business.

As for the credit, I will "give" it when I think it is justified or required

As far as I am concerned, if a student of mine comes here to talk positively or even negatively then great let them, frankly thats their choice, if they then get burnt then that's their problem, but please do not for a moment believe that my company needs to post on this site to rustle up business.

That's the end of the matter.

14. sameen77

sameen77 New Member

Hello

I was a student at commsupport.
    I am disappointed because I could not get a place to re-train ccnavoice.
    All the time when I try to conduct them,the answer is the class is full.
    I think Joe must reserve couple of places for the students who wish to re-train at any time.
    I think this will be the way straight forward for the sucess of commsupport.

Thanks

Mohamed. :cry:

Certifications: ccna
    WIP: ccvp
  15. sameen77

sameen77 New Member

Hello

I spoke to Joe last week about the problems I was having with not being able to get onto the ccna voice retake.

He did explain that the voice course is a popular and that it can become booked very fast.

Joe explained that they cannot reserve free retake places in advance of more than wht they do already, he said in the past when they did allow students to reserve weeks in advance they would not always show up for the class leaving places empty

The problem has been resolved

Thank you:biggrin

Certifications: ccna
    WIP: ccvp
  16. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Damn. I got caught... ekkhm.

Why both of you resurrect old thread to write exactly the same thing twice is beyond me.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  17. FiveHorse

FiveHorse New Member

old thread but wanted to comment, I went to commsupport back when i first was looking for my start in IT, and speaking to them, I was told as i did not currently work in IT and i did not currently have any networking knowledge I'd be shooting my self in the foot by doing a CCNA course.

I stop pursuing the CCNA and did other things like my A+ and Network+ and broke into IT in a big way in the last two years and now will be heading over to commsupport to do my CCNA as i think i need a good soolid networking base to do my current infrastructure role.

18. cisco lab rat

Wow, this is an old thread.

I am very pleased that you took our advice and very happy that you got into I.T. It is a great industry to be in with lots of insane like minded people that love their jobs fiddling and tweaking with kit. I do believe there is a path that one must follow to get into I.T, it is a time honored one of start at the bottom and learn the ropes from the ground up, I had to do it and I sort expect everyone else to do it.