Hi everyone. Thinking of change

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Idle Host, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Idle Host

Idle Host New Member

First of all, hey people. Stumbled across this website today while searching for certifications and found the advice dished out to people to be very helpful and informative so thought I would join up.

I have been thinking of starting a career in IT for a couple of years now and have recently decided now is the time for change. I am currently 25 years old and have been working as a photographer for about 5 years now. While photography will always be my first love I have come to realise I will never be able to make enough money from it to support myself properly so I am turning to my other main interest -IT.

The problem I have is I have no idea where to start! I obviously have no experience at all in the IT sector so finding a job is incredibly hard. I have always been tinkering with my hardware and have a good general base knowledge of components. I have decided to start studying for the A+ certificate as soon as possible as from what I can gather this would be a good place to start. Is this correct?

Basically I'm just looking for some advice on how to get myself (a competent noob) onto that first rung in the IT world. I enjoy working with both hardware and software and looking for something that would have a high level of problem solving.

Many Thanks

Michael

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi, you are correct, A+ is generally seen as a great starting point in IT. The hardest part is getting your foot in the door but stick with it and you'll find something. I personally love working in IT as its always changing and the money can be good if you work hard enough. Good Luck! PS Go for your N+ after the A+ if you are still applying for jobs and want to be productive with your time. Cheers
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

JK gave you some good advice. Check out the A+ forum for good study materials (suggestions). Mike Meyers seems to be the man on the books for A+ and Transcender usually gets mentioned the most for a good test sim that is approved (legit) by the people that matter.

Welcome, good luck and there are no dumb questions so don't hesitate to ask.:D

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Ditto ^^

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome aboard,

excellent advice already. I would suggest you grab the A+ book mentioned; it's an excellent foundation, will wet your appetite, may help you decide on which avenue to take and not be wasted whatever you decide.

Best of luck!

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Idle Host

Idle Host New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Im going to pick up the book tomorrow and get really stuck in with it. Little bit daunting but its all good fun in the end! God knows how i am going to get started but at least I know where I can some for advice

cheers again

michael