Hi everyone, please could someone offer any training advice?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by katonskies, Mar 1, 2008.

1. katonskies

katonskies Bit Poster

I agree with you 100% on this one, I was thinking that may be the best route for me rather than trying to learn one subject in depth and then learning another... a bit at a time with plenty of practice seems like a good idea to me, thanks

2. Carty

Carty Bit Poster

lol im also looking at emigrating to New Zealand soon, have fammiyl over there who keep begging for me to get over there.

I'm spending more time on the CSS now, also gonna branch over to simple JScript for the moment just so i can start getting my portfolio together. From what iv read that's gonna get you farther than CIW qualifications lol.

What company are you using to do the course with btw if you dont mind me asking? I'm using Scheidegger (Skills Train) and having a few problems with them.

Im working at the same sort of idea's now so i certainly agree. XHTML and CSS, touching on the bits of JScript that may help me with certain parts, hoping to move onto more in depth JScript and PHP/MySQL. Im doing perl in the course (what i personally cant see helping in web development, but i may be wrong).

3. katonskies

katonskies Bit Poster

Thats a strange coincidence isnt it mate, it would appear we are both on the same quest to learn IT and start a fresh over in NZ. I got my CIW course from a company called distance-learning-centre.co.uk, so far they have been really good, the course cost £1000 which included both the CIW foundation and CIW master designer which seemed quite reasonable as Computeach quoted me nearly £5k for the same course with a 3 day workshop in flash included. I agree that learning bits and pieces at a time definately seems like the way forward. I cant work out now if I want to try and learn .NET to try and expand my options in New Zealand. I have just been visited from someone from the home learning college who didnt really fill me with confidence. The course he was offering was an ACITP level 3 diploma in visual basic learning .NET. The course was £1500 and sounded ok from what he said. When I told him that I wanted to complete the course I am currently studying he tried his best to get me to sign up and put a deposit down etc, he also told me that the course was nearly full so I said i'd review my options when I completed this course and if his course was full then, then i'd look elsewhere. Has anyone had any dealings with www.homelearningcollege.com ? Does anyone know if the ACITP is a worthwhile recognised qualification? The other thing that made me question this guy was that he had no material to give me, he said just look on the website and when I asked for a business card he made up some story that he was clearning his car out the other day and must have left them back at home? Suspect??! I think so!

4. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

That's the other reason why I don't trust training colleges any more - the salesmen!! :blink

I would say it's better to be confident with what you know - and nobody will expect someone new to the industry to have covered as many of the subjects as possible; the other risk is that yes, you can learn as much as possible, but you're not going to remember or use it all. Plus you have to weigh up what your starting salary will be with what you're likely to be investing in it. If you're that committed to investing, however, it would be better to stagger it, especially with, er, schools which fill you with more confidence? :rolleyes:

And remember, books aren't just for students, they're there for people in the industry as well who need them for reference, to look up things they don't know or have forgotten :tune

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  5. katonskies

katonskies Bit Poster

Cheers, I think thats help to make up my mind - I think for the time being I am just going to focus on my CIW course and gradually build up my portfolio with additional books. Hopefully over the next few months will try and get into a company that will hopefully give me a chance to learn and get more experience whilst on the job. I'm thinking that maybe trying to learn .NET at this moment in my life would probably be a bit too much until I have a bit more experience and understanding.

6. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Goody! :biggrin

Books are much better anyway, as you can study at your own pace and be able to skim over bits you know and understand, and explore others in more depth and be able to take the time to do that.

I originally learned HTML from an online tutorial back in '95 or '96, and though I've done web work for much of this decade, I've certainly never taken a course - I've learned what I've needed to as I go along, and when I've been stuck, I just look it up online, which has always seemed a far more practical approach to me.

(Yes, I want to go on some courses now, but that's just to do with work and me being difficult, haha)

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia