Hi All

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Phil182, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

I have to say this is a great forum! I'm 25 years old and have 3 years experience in IT Support. I thought it was about time I got myself certified to enforce my knowledge.

Currently I'm preparing for the MCDST 70-271 exam, which I have booked for 17th March, I roughly score 86-89% on the Microsoft practice tests (I'm self-teaching) and this is the only material I am using. Usually this is from the 45 question certification mode.

My question is, roughly how many questions are in this exam? 2 hours 45 mins (as stated when booking the exam) seems like a long time to me! surely the number is close to 100? Or is it randomised?

If I am successful in the exam, would it be wise to use the MCP logo on my CV? Does anyone else do that with their qualifications?

Thanks for your time, :oops:

Phil.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  2. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

Hello and welcome. You should get around 40 questions (i did for both 271 and 272). Can't say if I've ever seen anyone use a logo on their CV to be honest but see what others say! Good luck with the exam, with your experience you'll walk it!

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

Thanks Tbone,

If I pass both exams then am I able to use 'MCP' and 'MCDST' on a CV? Or is that pointless as the MCDST would cover it?

4. tbone152

tbone152 Nibble Poster

You could use both but if whoever's looking at the CV knows anything about MS certs then they should know that if you're MCDST then obviously you're already an MCP! No harm in adding both though.

Just updating my CV at the moment so would be interested as to what others thought.

T

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would use both on the CV, while the MCDST does imply that you're a MCP. Alot of people (HR, non-technical, etc) will not know.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I'd milk it if I were you. Put MCP and MCDST. As for the logos, I know that I don't use them, but the CompTIA exams entitle you to - so I'm guessing someone does. I'm going to try it, see how tasty it looks. ^_^

It can't do any harm, right?

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  7. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

To be honest I think it would be advantagous to do so, rather than just writing it, some employers just glance at CV's and it would most likely be the only coloured part of your CV so may catch their eye more, and encourage them to read on..... As you say can't do any harm at all.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm in the States, so I use a resume instead of a CV. Even though a resume is generally shorter than a CV, I *do* use a few selected logos, including the MCSE+I. After all, I've got, on average, 15 seconds to make an impression. And ya know what? It works. ;) Or, at least, my career seems to indicate that it does. :thumbleft

EDIT: No, I don't use ALL of my logos... who has that much ink and paper? heheheh 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck for the exam.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  10. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

:biggrin Haha indeed, but as this will be my first I'll stick it on! I hope my career glows like yours in the future! 8)

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You've got 14 years to catch up to me... by that time, you should be VERY well established in IT. :) Just take it one step at a time, building a solid foundation at each step.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!