hi all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ss, May 13, 2008.

1. ss

ss New Member

my name is steve and i am hoping for a career change into IT within the next few years in currently re-sitting my maths and english exams and doing the ECDL course i have also just purchased the Microsoft MCDST self paced training kit my plan is to study and pass the MCDST exam then do the vista exam before making a move on a career change sometime within the next 2-3 years would be nice but whatever happens happens I'm looking for some advice,direction or a complete overhaul of my plan if you would be so kind to help me out :biggrin

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Are you already doing an ECDL course if so carry on, if not I wouldn't bother as it has more to do with administration & using office than IT related issues.

Before you start and the MCDST I would recommend doing compTIA A+ and compTIA N+ before the MCDST as both will give you a good grounding and should set you up nicely for the MCDST.

Also you can do those certs by self study so there's no need to pay out lots of cash to a company who will most likley give you some books and tell you to read them then charge you for the privelage

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Steve.

Probably the best path for you, if you are looking to get into a desktop support role, would be to do the CompTIA A+ (which covers hardware and operating systems). The Net+ which covers Networking in general i.e. non vendor specific. then go on the the Microsoft MCDST path.

The CompTIA certs are a good foundation to build further knowledge upon.

Good luck.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Hi and welcome, good luck with your studies

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Hello and welcome!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What they said. Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome aboard :cowboy

9. ss

ss New Member

first off thanks for the welcome
    yes i've already started my ECDL wish i hadnt botherd but at the time it was something to do wile taking my other exams
    think i will take a look at the A+ and see how i get on i did think of that a wile ago but was told i wouldnt need to then advised to then not then to then not,to,not,to,not,aaaaaahhhhh lol so this time im sticking with what you guys recomend
    there is a lot of usefull info on here and i can see i have alot of reading to do
    glad to be here
    steve

10. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

ECDL is a *very* basic introduction to computers - suitable for the complete novice! However - I found some of the modules useful to give me a rather more structured overview of Office apps than just diving in and trying things! So passing ECDL can be useful.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  11. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  12. Fastracksteve

Fastracksteve Bit Poster

Hi and good luck with the studies :D

Certifications: CCDA ACSE CCWA Mitel SX2000 & 3300
  13. ss

ss New Member

yeah good point funny thing is though because i have never worked in a office nor had the need to use Microsoft office or works, modules 4,5 and 6 are new to me so thanks for pointing that out i shall now approach this with more of an interest rather than just thinking it was slowing me down from studying what i really want to

14. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & welcome

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff