hi all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by david94, Jan 11, 2008.

1. david94

david94 New Member

hi how are you? my name is david i am new in this forum,i have couple of questions and maybe you might help me with it?i would like to know, is it possible or not to get Microsoft system administrator certification if you are under 16? i really want to have that certificate but i dont know where and how to get this courses.
    thanks you very much.

2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Hi David! Welcome to the forums.

Yes, it is possible to get the MCSA if you are under 16, meaning that I don't believe there is an age restriction on getting certified. That being said, paying for the exam requires a credit card, and I believe you may have to get consent from an adult to take the exams, but I'm not sure on that. A 9-year old from Pakiston got certified several years ago. When I first started working for Transcender, one of my coworkers told me a story about trying to help a 15 year old get the MCSE.

More importantly, I'm not sure that going after the MCSA is the best choice since you will have no "real world" experience. I would instead suggest going after the A+ and perhaps the Network+ certifications, as they are entry-level certifications. If you have the opportunity, I would also suggest helping others with their computers, and as soon as possible getting a part-time job working on computers.

Don't get in too big of a rush to get certified, especially at 13 years old. You have plenty of time to go before you need to start worring about a job. Continue building and troubleshooting computers and the certifications will come naturally. Best of luck!

3. david94

david94 New Member

thank you very much, you gave me a lot information.thanks a lot.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest mate, concrentrate on your GCSE's and see if your school offers the ECDL. I agree with BosonJosh about the entry level certs and about having experience. Build up your basics first before tackling the mid to high end professional courses.

As for where to take professional courses, you could contact your local college to see if they do thoses courses, because your under 18 and in full time education the courses would be free for you. However unless you live in Scotland, the minimum age for further education is 16.

See here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wise advice already given here, David. :) Mid-level certifications like the MCSA mean nothing without real-world business IT experience... and can, in fact, hurt your chances of getting your first IT job rather than help due to being overcertified. As Ken advised, concentrate on your GCSEs. If you still want to get certified, get the A+, Network+, and MCDST, but no farther until you build some real-world experience (not home lab experience, not school experience, not test experience, but in-an-IT-job experience). :)

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF David... 8)

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello David, welcome to CF,

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello David and welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA