Hi All

Discussion in 'A+' started by batfink9, Sep 27, 2007.

1. batfink9

batfink9 New Member

Hi guys

Just to introduce myself, I am Simon and I am new to the forum

I am a real newbie to computer maintainance but I have recently started the A+ at night school and am studying in conjunction with the latest SYBEX Complete Study guide.

I have been offered a job in IT with a friends company which deals with networking mainly but considered getting a firm grounding in PC basics and maintainance my first step.

There is a chance that I am going to study N+ concurrently in the new year but I will see how this course pans out first.

Did anybody find the A+ particularly difficult intially? As I am a little daunted by it all so far and am hoping I am going to be able to pick it all up, although I am a reasonably intelligent guy.

So anyway, just to say hi and looking forward to getting to know other forum members over the coming months, hopefully gaining some great tips to pull me through to the end.

Regards

Simon

WIP: A+
  2. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Hello

Not sure what you mean by this. If you have a chance at a job in computers, take it now, don't wait until after you are certified. There are a lot of people out there that have gotten certifications without experience and are having a hard time getting their first IT job.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  3. batfink9

batfink9 New Member

Ahhh....

Sorry, a little mis-leading.

I am just finishing off 22 years with the Royal Navy. I am taking courses now in preparations for taking this position in 18 months time when one of his employees goes into semi retirement and I finally take the plunge on the outside.

WIP: A+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... get the job while the offer is hot. You can build your "firm grounding" after hours... while you build valuable real-world experience during the day.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I think that maybe you would be best just hanging around your friends company a couple of days a week to get some practical experience. This is much better that book studying. You will find the certs easier if you already know what you are doing. Just my two penneth worth.

Oh and Welcome by the way. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with the others, if you have chance for a job take it.

As said above it will make studying easier and will do a lot of good for you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?