Hi All

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by andyh391, Jun 11, 2007.

1. andyh391

andyh391 New Member

Hi everyone,

Thought i'd join this forum as it seems a lot more impartial than the others i've been looking at.

I'm looking for some advice for a fairly major career change. My plan is based on what I think I can achieve rather than experience, so please feel free to rip my ideas to shreds and suggest something more practical!

Basically, the plan is this: I'm changing jobs from a non-IT orientated full time job (resigning rather than redundancy!), and am looking to try for a job in the IT industry with a longer-term view of setting up a small business to build/repair/upgrade computers. My two main problems are:

1. I'm 32
    2. I have no formal IT qualifications.

I have about 6 months to run with the current job and have enough, cough, 'leeway' in my current job to complete the equivalent of part-time study.

My rather simple plan at the moment is this:

1. Over the next 6 months, try and complete the CompTIA A+ essentials and IT Technician (220-602) exams by self-study.
    2. Once free of my current job, get a part time job in IT and spend the remaining time completing the CompTIA Security+ exam, followed by working towards the CISCO CCNA.
    3. Start business and run it in parallel with said part-time IT job until it eventually usurps the part-time job.
    4. Make millions and retire within three years.

OK, so the last point may not pan out, and I appreciate it's going to make for a very skint year next year.

I suppose my questions would be is this practical, and are these qualifications the correct ones to be aiming for? I've chosen the CISCO qualification largely because it's more comprehensive than the Network+ exam and I see the ability to repair and maintain small business networks as an important skill to give my intended business credibility.

Any advice gratefully received!

Certifications: Nil
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

IMHO (and it is only an opinion) the CCNA is not really more comprehensive than Network+. It is *very* thorough on Cisco kit, but does little to help you with other makes.

You have to ask yourself just how many small businesses have Cisco kit, which is very expensive, compared with units from cheaper vendors.

I'd say that for home and small business use the Network+ will be more useful. If you find that you are seeing lots of Cisco kit then go for the CCNA at that point.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I agree with Harry on the Network+. Its vendor neutral, so is an advantage if your looking into the Repair/Support business.

A+ Self Study is a great start, im doing exactly that at the moment and finding it not only beneficial, but interesting at the same time.

Another thing to think about is, if this business is to be successful, I dont think just A+/N+ knowledge will be enough, although they are great starting points, they are just that. I think greater knowledge will be needed for the business side of things as not all problems are a simple fix.

Best of luck with your plan!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Hi...Welcome....and..What Harry said!! :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  6. andyh391

andyh391 New Member

Thanks for the welcomes and advice, the point about Network+ versus CCNA is really useful. Now to actually get off my behind and start working on this plan.....

Certifications: Nil
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi and welcome to CF, glad you joined :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house