Hi All - newbie in need of a bit of help!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Amy969, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Amy969

Amy969 New Member

Hi all,

I'm currently studying my A+ at home, I looked at doing a course through a local college but no one seems to offer it at a decent time for me to attend around work. All the distance learning colleges I looked at all seemed extortionately expensive so I've made do with buying an Exam Cram book and just working my way through.

I'm not doing too badly, I've only got about 5 chapters left out of 17 but I'm not sure how much detail I really need to go into as I know those books go a bit "above and beyond" what you need to know to pass the exam.

I can't seem to find a good copy of the A+ syllabus but also wanted to know how other people are studying for this on a budget and if there's anything else I can do to try and help me pass.

I've got my old computer at home which I plan to start fiddling about with and upgrading bits.

I've tried finding online exams too but they all seem quite out of date.

Anyway, any help and advice would be very much appreciated!!

2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Mike Meyers CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide (think seventh edition is tthe up to date one?) contains all you need to know, some decent practice exams from Transcender, Preplogic or Boson and professor messer for some free online training videos.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

^

what Josiah said.

Professor messer videos are pretty good, and they are free.

Welcome to CF:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  4. Amy969

Amy969 New Member

cheers guys that's really helpful. does that book go into just as much detail as you need for the exam or does it overkill a bit? Just a bit worried i'm taking on a lot more than i need to! I need to get ready for the exam before xmas if possible. :)

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It has everything you need to know, no more no less.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Better to be over prepared than under prepared.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

I agree with them ^.

It may well go a bit OTT sometimes (and the Meyers book has a section of each chapter dedicated to 'beyond A+') but it's ALL relevant and not worth skipping.

Best of luck for your studies and more importantly have fun!

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!