Hi all, newbie here

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Simm_M, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Simm_M

Simm_M New Member

Just thought I would say hello.

Bit of background;

I am 32 and was running my own PC business for the last 5 years, due to the current climate I closed my business earlier in the year with the intention of getting a job in IT. I was under the impression I could walk into a job, how wrong was I? :rolleyes:

So to cut to the chase, I have 5 years hands on experience of building and repairing computers, to give you an idea I was building in the region of 25 PC's per week, but as profits got tighter (in the end less than £10 per system) I decided to call it a day.

Having applied for several jobs and not getting anywhere I thought I would take the time to get some qualifications. having looked around I decided on microsoftuk.co.uk as I stupidly thought they were part of MS.

The online course is provided by mindleaders.com and I am happy with it, however I am not happy with the level of "support offered". For example I have just finished the training for A+ Essentials and decided to take one of the mock exams. I was bemused after the first couple of questions as they had no bearing on the so called training. For example there was lots of questions relating to SCSI, this was only very briefly touched upon in the course. I called my account manager who said that he would email me back, as yet no response.

I am a little annoyed that the lowest score I got in each part of the course was 91%, yet when I did the first mock exam I got 69%, this due to the vast majority of questions been asked were not covered in the so called training.

As I am not prepared to spend £100 per month with this company for what I regard as rubbish I would be grateful if anyone can offer advice on where to go regarding getting qualifications.

Thanks in advance Simon

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Self-study is the way, my friend. All you need is one or more books and some hardware/software to use.

Always, always, always have another job in hand before leaving the job you're in. It's a competitive world out there, and it's almost always harder than you think it is.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sheargold

Sheargold New Member

HI there

I have been considering signing up to a course with Microsoftuk.co.uk, as they have offered me a very attractive package! Have you written your training off with them now, or have you stuck with it??

I am trying to source a reliable home study provider and would be interested in if you have found one??

Regards

4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

As mentioned above, you can get by with self-study especially for A+. I like Transcender for simulation exams. Good luck!:D

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  6. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I found my local Adult Education College offered plenty of courses & cheaper than a private provider.
    Cisco IT Essentials 1 would provide you with the grounding with some self study to take CompTIA A+.
    Followed by IT Essentials 2 + self study would enable you to take CompTIA N+.

I prefer tutor lead followed by self study the best method for me, but everyone is different.

Good luck in what you choose.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+