Hi All -My Intro

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Standardz, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Standardz

Standardz New Member

Hi All,

After spending weeks browsing through this forum, I have seen some very usefully advice & information, and finally I have decided to join.

First of all, I don’t have IT industry experience and I’m in a position where I need to get the knowledge & certification required to get work in a helpdesk/entry level job.

I have recently been in contact with a training provider about getting the certifications to help kick start my IT career. The IT certification courses offered by training providers seems relatively short and expensive, with some promising you a IT job when you finish the course. After reading the advice in this forum, it seems that it 's general better and more wise to do self study to acquire IT certs.

I have finally decided to do self study and is seeking advice on which certs (to name a few - CompTia A+, MCDST and CCNA ?) I should begin with, the study guide and resources required to study for the certs and the time scales for achieving these certs.

I look forward to any responses.

Standardz

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You'll find plenty of threads on these topics, but I'll give you the info you seek.

To start out in IT, you should pursue the A+, Network+, and MCDST. The CCNA won't be of use to you until later in your IT career.

For the A+ and Network+, I recommend the All-in-One Exam Guides by Meyers. Be sure to get the latest editions of each. I generally recommend Microsoft Press and Sybex books.

My opinion is quite biased regarding practice exams, considering I write them for a living. I would recommend that you download demos from several of the big-name trusted practice exam vendors, and avoid braindumps (illegal collections of real exam questions) at all costs - using them can get you decertified for life.

How long will it take? That depends on you, your other committments, your current knowledege level, and your ability to retain new information. Some people go in with no studying at all; others take years. I would guess you'll be somewhere in between. ;)

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Standardz

Standardz New Member

Cheers BosonMichael

I now having a clearing idea of how to go about getting my self ready to get my first IT job.