Hi all Just waiting for Advent course work

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Scouse, Nov 19, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Fixed. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Jagunco

Jagunco Bit Poster

Hi

I['m going through advent as well doing the Master CIW course and though I've been struggling its not so much Advents fault as my foolish schedule or projects and basically not reading that folder they sent me properly...

Good luck, are you studying for the essentials after that basics CD they send you? Same here though I suspect our paths will part there is you're doing.

Feel free to pm me and we can compare notes.

PS yeah keep the 'condolences' to yourselves, you might not think that might be slightly discouraging to someone just starting out?

Certifications: You're having a laugh
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Jagunco

Yeah I suppose its upto you to do a course, the problem I have is that these places charge you a lot of money when you could do the subject self study for about 10 times cheaper.

I am studying for the A+ I got the two book and an old PC to mess with for 80 quid the lot, hoiw much is the A+ costing you?

on another post today you have said you took a computer apart this is the best method for leaning by doing it yourself.

We have people who join here every day saying thing like I am on the MCSE course with advent or skillstrain I am doing the A+ first and when I get my MCSE I will get a job for 30k a year which is BS.

These companies don't tell the student that you should have years expewrience of adminstering destktop and networked operating systems before getting the MCSE, all they are interested in is your cash.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi Scouse... I am originally from Birkenhead, just across the Mersey from the 'Pool.

All the best with your studies.

5. BosonMichael

The alternative is for nobody to say anything, and then others end up making the same mistake. The advice is just as much, if not more, for the silent reader as it is for you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. GiddyG

Yes, Mike... but perhaps the issue is the way in which it was said? Sarcasm... or was it irony... may not be the best way to get your point across. :unsure

7. BosonMichael

If you believe it to be sarcasm, then you should get your Sarcasm Meter fixed. ;) None meant at all... just pointing out the facts that:

1) Self-study is a valid option...
    2) Self-study is a cheaper option...
    3) Microsoft recommends experience.

Just facts, man. :)

8. GiddyG

Mike,

I wholeheartedly agree with all 3 points above... especially since my own recent experience at the hands of a TP.

Mind you, if you feel you can afford it, and the TP is very good, then it may be the way to go for some people. Not all people can get by using self-study alone.

I am still trying to get re-imbursement on part of my course... :dry

John

9. BosonMichael

I agree with that. Always difficult to find a truly GOOD TP... a lot of that assessment is based on how good the instructor is... and that can be hit or miss, even within a single TP. If someone absolutely feels that they MUST go with a TP, I'd recommend researching these things:

• Find out who will be the instructor for the particular course you are taking, and get opinions of students who have taken classes from that particular instructor.
    • Find out what courseware they use, and get reviews or opinions of that courseware.
    • Find out if they use or advocate braindumps, either officially or unofficially, either purposefully or accidentally. If they do, avoid like the plague.
    • Never, ever, ever, EVER believe guarantees... of passing the exam, of gaining employment, of salary expectations when the course is complete, of ANYTHING. Take it for what it is: a course to help you pass an exam or a certification, and that's it. And pay accordingly.

I really liked the way that GBL stated it (at least, I believe it was him) when he said something to the effect of, "You're much safer with self-study because you won't ever try to rip yourself off!"

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thanks BM I have actually said it a number of times in various ways http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=186037#post186037 I think it took me reading 3 replies on CF when I first joined that training providers were not as good as they sounded.

I think actually it was you who first recommended self study and I am glad you did, as it would have made my debts last 2 months more.

I actually find it hard to believe now that I nearly spent 700 quid as I said ona post the the day, I got a spare PC and two books for the A+ total £80.

£80 versus £700 it doesn't take a genius to work out which is best for your pocket.

Yes you were infact the 1st respondant to my third post about the £760 I was about to splash out on a TP, then there were 3 others saying just about the same thing :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. BosonMichael

As you know by now from these forum members, what I said is nothing that someone else wouldn't have said first, in my place. :) I am glad we were helpful to your situation. That's why I do what I do here.

12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

I have to agree with BM and GBL, self study is the cheaper option and it was this forum that put me on the self-study route.

The problem comes from people knowing where they want to be but not knowing how to get there - This is when the Training Providers come in. They offer you their hand, a guide to the light at the end of the dark tunnel and it's easy to see them as a blessing. Before you know where you are, you're signed up and several thousand in debt but at least you're on your way to a brighter future.

Self study, yea it's cheap, yea it's as good or better than training providers - it's what you make it. Down sides? Well, GBL has been waiting to take his A+ exam for some months now and I've not been studying nearly as fast as I should have been. Though it's the cheaper option, you have to pay NOW and put yourself out of pocket for each exam, whereas, with a TP you take a loan and pay small chunks every month.

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  13. BosonMichael

For the low, low, low, low cost of $199, I'll light a fire under your tail on a weekly basis to keep you motivated. :twisted:

BREAK OUT THOSE BOOKS, YA SLACKER! MOVE IT! :cracking