Hi All bit of advice please

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by roost3r, Jul 13, 2005.

1. roost3r

roost3r Bit Poster

Hi all firstly thanks for all the welcomes i received secondly i could do with a bit of advice i am wanting to get further quals and wondered what way would be best to go about this i dont really want to go down the avenue of doing courses over 2 or 3 years and would just like to get my head down and get the qual as soon as poss i am looking at doin both the CCNA and MCSA/MCSE as i feel by doing the A+ or network + wouldnt be bettering my quals very much as i have CISCO quals at the same level. i live in the north west uk and been enquiring about best places to do courses with not v much luck if anyone has any advice that would be great also has anyone heard of or been to this bootcamp http://www.koenig-solutions.com/ or got any knowledge of boot camps as i keep getting mixed messages about them

thank you

Roost3r

Certifications: CISCO IT Essentials Instructor
    WIP: CCNA, Foundation Degree
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Being in the U.S., I don't have any experience with U.K. training vendors...bootcamps or otherwise. While I've never attended a bootcamp, it's my understanding that they are for people who have the general background in the subject matter (Cisco, Microsoft, whatever) but don't have the time to go through a lengthy training process. A lot of times, they are people who have been given the pronouncement by their employers: "Certify or Die!"

Ok, that's pretty dramatic, but that's the purpose of a bootcamp in a nutshell. If you think you have a sufficient background in Cisco and/or Microsoft to pull it off and you have the money (bootcamps aren't cheap), then it might be worth it. Keep in mind that a bootcamp is a whirlwind tour so although you will get a ton of concentrated "hands on", it won't take the place of years of experience (of course, you already have experience...at least in some of the content areas). Also, if you don't have a sufficient background to pull this off, you'll drown almost immediately.

Sorry if I seem like a downer but I'm calling this one as I see it. Good luck on whatever you decide. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Uruloke

Uruloke Nibble Poster

You can do the CCNA without any prior quals, but if you want to do the MCSA/MCSE, then as far as I am aware you have to have done at least the A+ cert... Some other guys will be able to help you more.

Certifications: GNVQ (Going Nowhere Very Quickly!)
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The MCSA or MCSE does not require previous certs such as the A+ or Network+. One of the electives for the MCSA only is either:

A+ and Network+

or

A+ and Server+

However, you can substitute an Microsoft elective in place of what I have written above. The only reason we seem to stress that anyone wanting to certify with the MS quals should take the above-mentioned certs is to get a firm foundation in basic hardware and networking. Without that, you'll most likely flounder due to lack of understanding the basics.

Incidently, I usually recommend that if you have *no* networking background, that you go for the Network+ before the CCNA. It isn't required by Cisco, but they recognize the Network+ coursework in the materials used by Cisco's netacademy.

Certifications: A+ and Network+