Hi All!! Advice needed please!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by AmandaT, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

You should breeze through A+ and N+ as it sounds like you have had so much 'hands on' experience already! Because you have taught yourself the skills you may find that the exams are great for covering some of the basics you didn't manage to cover though - who knows. Great starting point though as you can judge from it how to tailor your future studying!

Have you already started looking for support roles? I would have thought that someone with that much experience already would easily get an entry level role - possibly something a bit more despite not being certified :hhhmmm ...

btw, when you mentioned the dog agility course, I sure do hope that you were running around it with a dog Lol!! :biggrin :p

Good luck with everything!

Lee

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. AmandaT

AmandaT Bit Poster

Yes definately running the dog agility course with a dog Lee... lol :biggrin

You know, it probably sounds daft but I'd never actually thought about applying for any support roles until I'd got something down on paper.... I know experience is the important thing for most of these but I think somewhere in my brain i'm telling myself I'll never get anything without a certificate... must change my way of thinking :eek:

I'm going to start looking as even if I get turned down, the interview experience would be good (if I can get that far) as I'm a little out of practice with interviews.

Nabbing my old desktop back of my younger sis this weekend so I can play with it without worrying as she got herself a newer one and my old one is just sitting on her bedroom floor - so just going to order the A+ book later on and wait for it to arrive and off I go!

Speak to you all soon!!! (or even sooner! :oops:)
    Amanda xx

WIP: A+, poss. N+, then MCDST
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Have you thought about trying to transfer into IT where you are ? Just a thought.

Sounds like you have a gameplan anyway so good luck !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. AmandaT

AmandaT Bit Poster

The only problem I have with moving into IT where I am at the moment is that it requires me to relocate all the way up to Edinburgh! :eek: Would rather try and stay a bit closer to home at the moment. I do the IT related things in our office as the LIM and really enjoy that but my employers won't help me with any studying towards a cert so i'm going to work hard and study at home then move on I think - unless the ideal opportunity comes up in the mean time! :)

WIP: A+, poss. N+, then MCDST
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Regardless of experience I would still go for the A+ and Network+. Loads of people seem to be ‘good with computers’ these days and it is hard to tell how good they are on a CV. If you have the A+ and Network+ on there it is much easier for the potential employer to rate what technical level you are at, on paper at least! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Edinburgh aint that bad :biggrin

No reason why you cant be working IT where you currently are though. With remote access there is often no need to be located at the site where the servers are. Saves me having to fly to London. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

What are the benefits of joining BCS mate? Any fees?
    Cheers

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+