Hi All – A History – And thank you all.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by eurorocker, Mar 5, 2010.

1. eurorocker

eurorocker New Member

Hi All, I’ve been a lurker for a while so thought I had better post.

First the history, I’m 52, a sheetmetal worker for 36 years and 1st July last year I took voluntary redundancy/early retirement due to a restructuring (- 450 jobs) by my previous employer, a large multi national defence company.

All those that left aged over 50 got offered retraining in what ever they wanted, within financial reason. Most asked for HGV lorry driving training, plumbing courses or even green keeping training at their local golf course.

I asked hopefully for something to do with computers, such as ‘computer tech or admin, something like that’. I am on a good pension and have no intention of pursuing a second career. I just wanted a better insight into computers and the IT business.

In October I was informed that I had been booked on 2 IT courses at Firebrand Training. The courses were Comptia A+/N+ 7days in December and MCSA 9 days in February.

I had to Google to see what they entailed and got a shock at the objectives of both courses. The A+/N+ were more of the level I expected to be capable of and achievable.

Whilst doing the search I happened upon this very forum and was so amazed at the help and encouragement that is spread amongst these pages.

I took on board what people have said and trawled eBay for some books to self study with the sessions at the TP as a sort of final cram.

I am pleased to say that your methods do work; I studied from 4 to 7 hours a day doing book work and labs using VMware and Craigies study guides, with lab diagrams by Phoenix and passed both the courses. I know that I am like a fish out of water with no experience of server technology etc but I am quite pleased with my self at passing.

The next thing I am looking at is the Windows 7, decktop tech and admin (685 and 686) as my interest is gripped with this learning lark. I still have no interest in full time employment but a little part time stuff might be another matter.

Once again many thanks to you all for all the help and encouragement you give to us newbies.

Tony :D:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCSA 2003, MCTS (70-680). MCDST
    WIP: MCITP:EDST(70-685) :EDA(70-686)
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the intro. It's nice to hear you have made good use of the posts on Certforums.
    Good luck for the future, I hope you stick around.

Cheers,

Boycie

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Tony, glad you found us and congrats on the passes 8)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009