Hi! a newbie here!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Bobcat, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat New Member

Hi, i'm new here, and already found the forums here really useful! For the record,I have the following qualifications, and at the mo, looking for work, to exand my experience, as I think I have the basics here! I would love to study either the CCNA course, or resit the N+ as i failed it 2 years ago, by 5 points :blink I think, however, i might have to retake the course again, as things have changed quite a lot! Anyhow, time to stop waffling and onto the qualififcations:
    ECDL, CLAIT, A+, MCP, MCDST, and loads of Learndirect courses, such as customer services, network foundations hardware foundations, software foundations, and at the mo, studying NVQ customer service. :eek: I used to be in print (25 years man and boy!!:biggrin ) but at 43, taking a career change, as i've always been facinated by computer hardware/ software for a while now!
    Anyhows, hope to post loads of new threads :eek:

Certifications: A+ MCDST
    WIP: N+ CCNA NVQ customer support
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

For retaking the N+ I'd suggest getting the current books (Mike Meyers has a good one and also Groth - both mentioned frequently here) and doing a bit of self-study to plug the gaps. Much cheaper than doing a course!

N+ hasn't changed *that* much since 2 years ago.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

To be honest I wouldn't do the CCNA just yet, concentrate on the Network+. The CCNA has to be renewed every 3 years as it expires.

Just to let you know the last time you'll be able to sit the older Network+ exam will be July 2009, otherwise you'll have to study and pass the new 2009 version/objectives.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF :D

What they said ^^:biggrin

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Yes be careful about the time frame when looking at the Network+ cert, the Mike Meyers 4th edition book will be coming out in the near future and you will not be able to take the old Network+ exam after July 2009.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

I agree with Ken - if you're switching careers, hold off on your CCNA. The CCNA is designed for people who are starting to work with Cisco devices in a real-world IT environment. I'd recommend pursuing the A+, Network+, and MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell