Hi, a bit daunting but what the hell!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ajs1971, Aug 9, 2011.

1. ajs1971

ajs1971 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm Andy. I am just getting ready to leave the Armed Forces and am starting my resettlement next month. I am looking at getting into the Networking side of I.T. and was wondering how to go about it.

My background experience is mainly in the Communications and Information Systems branch of the RN. I have worked with several large networks (800) plus computers and have had entry level training on managed switches and routers. I have also worked with AD, Magic Servicedesk and Remedy.

I have ITIL V3 Foundation, Level 4 Management from ILM and Prince2 Foundation.

Any advice on career path, training, the general day to day happenings of a Network engineer would be most appreciated

I look forward to hearing from you.

Andy

2. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

My advice as in the past to others, would be to get as many courses done now, whilst the MOD is still paying.
    Get your courses done as early in to your resettlement period as possible, don't leave it till the last few months.

With your CIS background you won't go far wrong with a mixture of Microsoft and Cisco courses.

With the right training provider (cough, cough - I work for one) you should be able to fund most courses from the allowances available without any personal expense to yourself.

Being Navy, you will most certainly have S.C or above clearance which will also stand you in good stead.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  3. ajs1971

ajs1971 New Member

Hi Billy,

Thanks for the comments. Are you allowed to tell me which supplier you work for?

4. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Maybe not, so p.m sent.
    No free advertising when off the clock anyway. ;)

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.