Hey there...New member...Need feedback

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Ice Penov, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Ice Penov

Ice Penov Bit Poster

Hi,

This is my first post here, hopefully not the last. I'm on the last year on my CS studies. I own SCJP and currently pursuing SCWCD(These are Sun Microsystems certs, just for clarification).

In the meanwhile, looking at the IT industry, I was getting interested in Microsoft's .NET technology. I think that .NET is well designed technology(although it is Sun-based :biggrin ). So, I decided to go with .NET in parallel with Sun's J2SE/J2EE.

I plan to become MCAD for .NET, and later on MCSD for .NET. However, I don't have any work experience--cause I'm still a CS student. What's your view about getting certified without having industry experience? Should I wait to gain work experience before becoming MCAD/MCSD?

I wanna pursue IT certs before I get my IT diploma, just to get a good starting-point job, from where I shall build my IT career. Am I mistaking?

Do I need a work experience to undergo these three exams?At Microsoft's site it says that you need 2 year of experience in the field. Is this a recommendation or a requirement. Will anyone at the day of the exam ask me for a paper for 2 years work experience?

I'm planning 70-315, 70-320, and 70-316. Is this OK? Any recommendations? Are the QUE Exam Cram books by Amit Kalani OK for studying for these exams?

Sorry for the tons of questions.It's is OK if you answer just a few of the above.Looking forward for your info.

Regards,
    Ice

Certifications: SCJP, SCWCD
    WIP: Security+
  2. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Hey Ice Penov, stick around, the guys and gals here are very helpful and always have sensible words to pass on. I'm not the right guy to answer your particular questions but i'm sure the others will be along in a bit to steer you in the right direction. :biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

well, it's the age old dilemma of the infotech biz. most of us have dealt with it. ideally work experience and certification go hand in hand. the more certs you got, the better you should be able to function at your job (or maybe even find a job). and the more work experience you got, the easier it will be to get particular certs.
    companies will always require you to have both certs and work experience, but many times you'll see they will value either one of those more than the other.
    still, you have to start somewhere. if you have the means, as in money, resources and time, then try to get some entry level certs. and while you're doing that, just start applying for jobs, even if you know you haven't got a chance. luck is also a factor.
    (note: i'm speaking generally here. i don't really know the mcad/mcsd side of the biz)

no, you're not mistaken. if you are able to get some certs before you get your diploma, then by all means, go for it. just don't let it get in the way of your current studies.

recommendation only.

i'm sorry, but i can't give you any advice there, since i was employed in a different field. still, que exam crams are usually highly recommended.

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Ice,

Welcome to CF. Good luck with your studies and future career.
    There are a lot of us in the experience needed for job boat. I am just doing what all the others had to do- keep trying.
    Best of luck :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi Ice.
    I'm an MCAD on .NET working on my MCSD. I took the VB.NET route. I had no experience when I started out but I supplemented my studying with a bit of practical work and I'm now working as a developer.
    It has to be said that my MCAD wasn't what got me my job, although it may have looked good.
    I actually got the job on other skills and merit, but my MCAD studies have been useful to me in this job and I'd like to think they'll carry me further.

I'm not sure how much value there is in being an MCSD who has never developed anything, but as has been said before in this forum - you've got to start somewhere!

Good luck.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Hi, Ice. Welcome aboard and good luck with your studies!

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Ice,

You've already picked up some good advice above, I see - unfortunately, I'm not in a position to add to it, but I would like to invite you up to the New Members forum to drop in a more general "hello" and meet the Guys, if you feel like it :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Ice Penov

Ice Penov Bit Poster

Hey,

thanks for the replies. It was useful.

To JonnyMX--

what did you use in the studying process. Are the QUE Exam Series by Amit Kalani OK? BTW, by saying that I have no industry experience, it doesn't means I haven't developed anything(of course, it is not the same, but...). I'm taking C# route cause I got a cert as Java programmer, and C# and Java are VERY similar.

To Jakamoko--

i'll go there are introduce myself. Sorry, for I posted without introducing...

Thank a lot guys.

Regards,
    Ice

Certifications: SCJP, SCWCD
    WIP: Security+
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I used loads of stuff. I went with a training provider who made plenty of material available. I suppose it was a mixture. I had a look at the quickstart books and I used the prep-logic textbooks for a lot of it. They tend to be really example heavy so it's only any good if you've got Visual Studio and SQL etc etc.
    Recently I've become quite taken by the Microsoft Press books. They're much better than they used to be. I used the Transcender study guide to help me with my 270 - it's a cracking bit of reading.

There's no hard and fast rule. Pre-logic for example was great for 306 and 310 but pants for 229. You've just got to read the reviews and pick up advice from places like this.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD