hey there is a forum site totally irritates me...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by kobem, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Wow. Deja-Vu

Seriously mate, try listening to the answers you are given first time around.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What else is a moderator or admin supposed to do? Their reason for BEING a moderator or admin is to keep the site running without problems or distractions. If you prove to be a problem or distraction, YOU are their target.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Kobem I am not being funny or trying to upset you, but you really need to get to grips with basic networking instead of the advanced stuff you are trying to learn.

You need to get a book like the N+ book, you have said previous that you can't get it anywhere, there must be other books that teach basic network fundamentals in your country.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

why not just ban him based on his MAC? then he would have to alter his registry settings or use a program such as mad macs in order to modify his displayed MAC. although i've got the feeling that would lead us in another round of seemingly endless rotation of questions. :dry

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Which MAC? If you mean the one in the router - then as you say this is trivial to change. If you mean the one on the PC then that isn't sent - so can't be seen.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Snowwhite

Snowwhite Bit Poster

To Kobem:
    Simply release your IP adress for the specified adapter if you really would like to experiment with the command prompt :D

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: confused
  7. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

MAC on the PC is not sent ? while going to the net source address is changed by the NAtted
    device but MAC address ?

Certifications: CCNA
  8. hbroomhall

The MAC address is only useful on the Ethernet segment it lives on.

Routers strip off the layer 2 stuff (I seem to remember talking about this recently) so the MAC address is then lost, as it is in that layer.

NAT has nothing to do with it.

Harry.

9. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

do you say this below : mac address is only used via communicating in LAN(between hosts)
    it doesn't go outside of local network

10. hbroomhall

Correct.

Harry.

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Maybe you give yourself away by typing in lots of different fonts and colours?

Easier to spot than an IP address, that is...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

If connecting directly to internet (ie cable, dsl, or dial-up modem connected directly to PC) run the command 'ipconfig /all' at the command prompt, and you will see the IP address 'leased' to you via DHCP from the ISP's network. It will also show when this 'lease' expires - eg 1 hour or 24 hours. To renew this IP address type 'ipconfig /renew' - though often you will get the same IP address again, though not always.

If connecting via a router go to the router setup page (normally accessed by entering http://<ip address of router> in your browser). The currently assigned IP address will be shown on one of the setup pages (eg on my Linksys wireless router it is under the Status page), and there will be an option to release or renew the IP address.

I have 4 PC's and a router, and I have noticed each one individually usually gets the same IP address from the ISP, but that address is different for each one, and these are in completely different ranges. In the same way, two different NICs in a PC may likely also get two different IP addresses from the ISP. Remember a router or modem normally requires hard reset if connecting it to another NIC (on the same or other PC).

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  13. hbroomhall

Er - what sort of connection do you have there? Most ISPs either hand out a static range, or hand out a single dynamic IP address.
    So I'd be interested to know how 4 PCs on a router can have wildly different addresses.

Not any router I've had to deal with. Unless, of course, the new arangement means a complete rework of the settings in the router.

Harry.

14. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

perhaps ! cause i like writing with capital letters but many people do not . However , in las times
    i paid attention to that situation for not being detected easily but someone recognized me
    and pointed out MY NAME "YOU ARE KOBEM"!

i think managers saw this and examined their records then boom!:rolleyes:

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I must say, kobem... your writing style IS pretty unique. The questions you ask make you easy to spot as well.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Perhaps you should wear a Burqa

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  17. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

oh man , i hate these kind of veils especially in these days , do not tell me this
    please:twisted:

i hate veils that is used for exploiting people their beliefs and imposing them
    bad silly tales , superstitions.

that is not islamic this damn shite is all about lie:x

18. Rover977

Rover977 Byte Poster

I am not making myself clear enough here. I am not refering to the normal configuration of 4 PC's on a router (in which case they all get ip addresses starting 192.168, and the router itself gets an ip addr from the ISP), but an experiment where you connect one PC (via its NIC) to the modem, and then see what ip addr it gets. It turns out in my case that the ip's obtained are actually different and in different ranges, (though all these ranges are allocated to my ISP). My 4 PC's get ip addr's starting 77.100, 77.101, 82.36, 82.41. The router when connected gets 80.192.

A cable modem definitely does require a hard reset when moving to a different system. A home router on occasion requires a reset as part of resolving a connectivity problem.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Cisco CCNA
  19. hbroomhall

I was beginning to think this was a cable system - which can have some strange rules in the UK. The problem is that historicaly cable looks at the MAC of the PC for a limited form of authentication. They dropped this, but some of the systems still get very confused.

Modems - yes - not unusual. A router that needs rebooting when plugging things in needs putting in the bin. :biggrin

Harry.

20. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

WIP: LIFE