Hey, I've found the "Road to Cisco"!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by DrkSnpr4, Dec 16, 2008.

1. DrkSnpr4

DrkSnpr4 Bit Poster

Hey CF, you can call me DrkSnpr4 as my nickname I don't wanna reveal my real name. 8) I wrote I've found the "Road to Cisco", but it was just a joke. :biggrin

Anyway I am from Republic of Kosova, just another half-year I am going to enter at Cisco's field (they've spoken to me that to enter to Cisco (CCNA) course I should be at least 16-years old), I am going to pass IT Essentials course/exam without entering, because I think it is indeed for me and at the other hand I've read Mike Meyers A+ book and currently reading Sybex A+; with all these two books also my extra knowledge on computers I think it is indeed for a Support Technician on Routing & Switching.

First of all I am going to enter to CCNA course, because I am not good with routing & switching (better to say I have although no knowledge on it) so I am going to enter and see how it works, and I am really interested to see how IT schools (courses) work.

The "Road to Cisco" is:
    - CCENT (Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician)

- CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate)
    - CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional)
    - CCIP (Cisco Certified Internetworking Professional)
    - CCIE (Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert)

*I've marked CCENT with red color because I am not going to enter there, I think I know enough for networking, and related but I want to continue with routing and switching...

So what do you think? :biggrin

2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:) and best wishes with your cert study and try to get as much hands on practice.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Welcome, how old are you?

Also in your position I would do the CCENT, and stick to CCNA unless you have commercial experience in Cisco networking as otherwise you will be ruining your chances of employement as you will basically become a paper certified technician, and very few companies will hire that sort of person.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Start off with passing A+ first & see how you get on after that.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  5. DrkSnpr4

DrkSnpr4 Bit Poster

Thanks. :biggrin

Hey #kevicho, I am 15-years old (26 April) and thanks for your suggestions, but the CCENT seems to be very basic, and as I read the CCNA curriculum I saw that there is the introduction of networking and thought indeed, so anyway I have to self-study some books until starting CCNA course. I think reading Sybex A+, S.S.'s Network Warrior and a book of related CCENT will be more than enough.

Can someone suggest me a book of CCENT (I don't want Cisco's official books :oops:).

Finally #MrNerdy I think at Cisco's field (I mean Routing & Switching) A+ CERT. (not knowledge) is indeed, so I've passed that.

Thanks again to all of you! :biggrin

6. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Be careful that your self confidence doesn't stray into the realm of complacency. The CCNA's first exam is the same as the CCENT. As Mr Nerdy said, I'd start off with the A+ and take it from there. In logical steps, rather than huge ones.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  7. DrkSnpr4

DrkSnpr4 Bit Poster

Thank you for your post #Matt Stevenson. You say right, I should start from begining, but I don't want to waste time by taking A+ and CCENT, I want to use the period for increasing my knowledge by reading those books before starting towards CCNA, so I am pretty sure that I'll make something. I don't want to waste my time by getting indeed certifications for my point in future, that's the reason.

However I am going to try this method, so if this works as I exepted than I'll write you and suggest. it. :D

8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi Good to see someone who is serious about IT at such a young age.

What line of work (field of IT) do you want to pursue when you leave school?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  9. DrkSnpr4

DrkSnpr4 Bit Poster

Hello again,

With the certifications at top (in list without CCENT), I am looking to be a Network Engineer for Routing & Switching. I want to take the highest rank 6 times (CCIE) to enter at top 300 on world. Maybe one day! :)

10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Can just pass on some thoughts.

At 15, you will likely or have no commercial experience, and the purpose of certification is not for learning,it is to verify competancy in the workplace, as ultimately thats the point of certification, career progression and respect of peers.

On the Cisco site, each certification will have a prerequisite experience, the CCENT doesnt to my knowledge, hence the CCENT suggestion which would get you into Cisco, while not going too overboard.

The CCENT does demand some networking knowledge, and is a good step up from the network+ certification (being vendor specific it will focus on cisco networking, but the concepts, are universal, the commands are not)

The A+ and Network+ are for people with some experience of PC and networking, however they do not necessarily demand commercial experience and imo are more there to show dedication to the craft, and willingness to learn (while teaching a good set of the basics).

In the IT industry we have a term called a paper tech, which is someone who has certifications, but not the relevant experience, and within the IT community this is frowned upon, as history has shown these people are basically not up to the task.

If you go as far as CCIE, which is a very expensive, time consuming and elite level to progress too, then you will never find work.

This is because you will be over certified for the right roles, where you can progress a career, but not have the experience (or verifiable knowledge) to work more advance roles which people whop have these certifications have years of experience and work with the technology daily.

I personally think your situation CCNA is the uppermost limit you should certify in, if you want to progress through the CCNP tracks, then there is nothing to stop you, but I would highly recommend you hold back on certification until you find a role where you are using these skills daily.

Hopefully this will help and im sure many more of us who have worked in the industry would verify this is the case.

11. DrkSnpr4

DrkSnpr4 Bit Poster

Hey #kevincho you are great, thank you a lot for your post!

You mentioned the most that I had to know but missed some. :D

- Also CCNA doesn't prequire any certification or knowledge for entering.
    - While I pass the CCNA I am going to look forward to a job, and continue on studying CCNP.
    - After passing CCNP now I'll go more slowly and increase my job rank.
    - Forgot to mention, I don't want to be over-certified for a period of time, I want this for my whole life that countinues, like entry certifications now and accoming years like until University, and more certifications later;
    - So my only point isn't getting certs, certs and more certs; I want the to have a good job, starting from bottom CCNA - Look Job, CCNP - Increase Rank, CCIP - Increase Rank, CCIE - Change Job; may after taking first CCIE I go to Juniper certifications and start from entry, and the same method like Cisco's.
    - I am sure that I don't want to be over-certified in my early and mid career, maybe more on for later, but long later. :)

You've asked about when leaving the school; I've answered for my whole career. :) But the answer of that question I've included at the points up given. :)

Going to thank you again, if you/others have any other suggestions, or something else to say please comment or write. :)

12. schlumberger mehdi

schlumberger mehdi New Member

best way - to do - to grow up in best way8)

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome DrkSnpr4

What Kevicho says is correct. The CCNA is for people who actually work with cisco hubs and switches and maybe not where you live but in the UK and US having the CCNA without the commercial experience can go against you when applying for jobs.

As Kevicho says you would be known as paper certified and whilst you have worked hard at obtaining the certification it may not mean much to an employer.

Best to get the A+ and N+ then get a job and when you have experience of cisco switches in a job then do the CCNA.

You have plenty of time being only 15.

Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?