Hey Guys, got a new job !

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mattwest, Dec 22, 2004.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hey guys and girls.

Apologises for not being around much, i've been reading the posts just not replying! Been a hettic few months.

Well i went for a job at my local council. Got an interview, had a written paper, practical test, panel interview and i've got the job!

I've handed in my notice at my current job and it feels great! My last day is New Years Eve!!

I'm gonna be a 3rd line tech so i'm looking forward to the challenge. More £££ and training, something my current employers dont understand! :ohmy

Although i've got 5 years experience and held 2 good positions i think one of the more important things that got me this job is my attitude and communication skills. Also the ability to demonstrate a practical thought process.

So experience is a must and certs are handy, but dont forget to work on those communication skills. I did well on the theory, didnt complete the practical, but because i explained my processes they were impressed (the guy before me *trashed* the server!!) and i put myself across at the interview very well.

Even if you think all is lost, keep calm and make the most of a bad situation. Explain what you did and why. If mistakes were made, show you realised and what you would do to fix them.

Preparation is the key. There is a book called "Great answers to tough interview questions" which really helped me give some good textbook answers.

Anyway just though i'd shall some news and add my thoughts....

Merry Xmas all :D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

:cheers :thumbleft

Well done mate, great news :!: Congrats, and make sure you let us ll know how it goes in the new year. :D

Good luck

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well done, mattwest. Congratulations. Time to celebrate. :alc

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

Congrats. Sounds like you'll have a good Xmas & New year, just make sure you've recovered b4 the new job starts

[​IMG][​IMG] Merry Xmas :D

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  5. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Nice one MatWest - a good start to the new year!

As for the book you mentioned, I also have a copy of that - used it when I ran some training projects with groups of unemployed as well as using it myself to brush up a bit. A very good resource!

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well done, Matt - great news mate [​IMG]

As has been said - great start to the New Year, and thanks also for the useful information you provided re interview techniques - I can imagine many others will find that useful (myself included)

Now go PARTY [​IMG] [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Fantastic news matt, all the best of luck for the new start in the new year. :biggrin

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the new job mate. Looks like you have a great christmas present under the tree.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

well done Matt :thumbleft

Was that beers all round I heard you shout???? :ohmy

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong