Hey folks

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by afcberty, May 5, 2007.

1. afcberty

afcberty New Member

Pleased to meet all your aquaintance.

I'm a senior engineer with a large IT services company and now looking to turn 7 years experience of working on everything from Dell servers to IBM servers to SUN servers.

Does anyone have any opinions on these 14 day MCSE courses?
    I have all but signed up for one and would like to know if these are worth the money.

I'm under no illusions obviously, I know it's going to be an extremely skullbusting 2 weeks.

Has anyone here managed to complete one successfuly and if so do you have any tips to help me see it through?

Thanks,
    Rab

2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Hello :biggrin

MCSE in 14 days, thats a tough one. i would imagine that these boots camps are only good for someone with years of experience, of which you seem to have. Perhaps someone whom has achieved their MCSE will be along shortly to give you their opinion.

Best of luck.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you have a ton of experience, you probably don't need an expensive crash course to get you your certification. For someone who DOESN'T already have a ton of experience, an expensive crash course probably won't help them enough to get the certification... and even if they DO pass the exams, will they *truly* gain that level of understanding to be able to do the job of an MCSE? Most do not, from what I've seen. Most people end up forgetting the majority of what they learned right after they pass the exam.

If I had to guess, I'd say you probably have enough of a foundation of knowledge to not need the course. I'd recommend self study, myself. It takes longer than a boot camp, but you'll understand more and retain more. Sure, a certification is great... but what's of even more worth is the understanding and knowledge you gain along the way. 14 days of teaching isn't going to give you that level of understanding and knowledge so that you retain it for years to come.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi afcberty, and welcome to CF. I would add my two pence worth as BosonMichael has really said it all well in a nutshell. However, I still think your best going the self study route as to attain the knowledge of what your learning for a long time as well as to aid you in the role of an MCSE.

To be honest the MCSE when it's studied the self study route through going through the practices in the MS Press books it's no child's play. Really, the choice is yours. Once again, welcome to CF:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. afcberty

afcberty New Member

Thanks guys:D

Self study it is!!!

6. BosonMichael

Sounds good!

Anything done well is worth taking the time to do it right. What's the point of doing something quickly if it won't be done well, right? In the long run, you'll be glad you took the self-study route. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. afcberty

afcberty New Member

Makes sense BosonMichael

Thanks for the advice, now all I need to do is find a decent provider (I would rather do it with the advice and guidance of an MCT)

Anyone got any suggestions for a good UK provider?

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My advice would always be to self study - however, before parting with any money make sure you do plenty of research, spend some hours trawling through our Training and Development forum, you will see many horror stories. Most of these are written by people that were unable to attain what they set out to do, some become so depressed and annoyed that they end up wanting their money back but that never happens.

Our stance is to remain training company neutral and just try to stress the potential pitfalls in signing up with any of them.

Oh and if you do decide to go with a training provider, take anything their salesman say with a pinch of salt. They are 'salesman' after all, on commission and they all tend to paint a rosy picture, use dubious sales techniques like promises of jobs and exaggerate a lot.

Good luck.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. BosonMichael

I thought you were looking for self study? You don't need a provider or trainer for self study. All you need are some training materials, like study guides and practice exams, and a computer or two to mess with.

12. afcberty

afcberty New Member

After some consideration, i would preffer to do it under the guidance of an MCT.

Part of my role with the company I work for is training engineers on new hardware / contracts. Although the guys are good at their jobs, It annoys me when they go to site before being trained and "assume" they know what their doing then it's left to my department to sort out the mess. I'm sure you would agree that it's too easy to pick up bad habits along the way. Being coached by an MCT should go a long way to making sure I get it right.

13. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF, glad you joined. :)

One note I have to say, just like any trainer, once you decide on a training provider - get a feel for the MCT. I know a couple of MCT's thru both work and thru word of mouth. There are some MCT's that are excellent and some that are just passable.

Good luck on your studies.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Grettings :biggrin

Well done for not going on that course, it's a lot to pack into in a short space of time and you would have to folk out huge amounts of money.

Before you start studying i would suggest you have a look at this thread, which gives you some idea's on how to study:-

Mr Cheeks - Studying Thread

Secondly there's the why do self study question's and answer thread hosted by Zimbo. Here you will learn why choose the Self Study Route over the Boot camp route.

Third - a very useful collection of Threads posted by AJ. This gives you an insight into IT and where to find useful resources.

Good Luck in your studies.:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  15. afcberty

afcberty New Member

Cheers for the info mate !!:D

Much appreciated.

16. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Welcome to cf

Certifications: A few.