Hey All!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ScottRM, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ScottRM

ScottRM New Member

Hi everyone!

I've been stalking the site over the last few weeks looking for advice on training courses only to find one right under my nose!

I'm pretty good with computers but have no qualifications and wanted to get into the industry and maybe build computers for fun - just signed up at my local college to do COMPTIA A+; it was only £400!

Much better than the £3000 other companies were quoting me!

I look forward to pestering you all for advice and help! :rolleyes:

Scott

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Major congrats on finding a less-expensive training course! That's a much better option than paying thousands of dollars for an entry-level certification course.

That said, most of us here have you beat... paying a few bucks for a book and going the self-study route. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. ScottRM

ScottRM New Member

I thought about doing that - but I'm just not disciplined enough!

I think going to college a couple of nights a week will motivate me to do the theory stuff - I'm really looking forward to it.

Hoping to start having a go at building my first comp this week (first from scratch, I've tinkered with many).

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Eventually, you'll have to learn to be disciplined enough. In IT, you have to constantly study to stay on top of new technologies... and unfortunately, most companies aren't going to pay for you to attend expensive training courses, nor are they going to give you time off work to attend them.

That said, I do understand why you would want to take a training course since it's your first time through these waters. :)

There's nothing like a self-built computer. I'm sitting right next to mine... a self-built Core 2 Duo box, built about a year ago. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF.

I do have to agree with BM, I am starting to see what he means now my self. It is important to be able to know how to teach yourself, because there will be times where thats all you got.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF and good luck with the A+ :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009