Here's to no longer lurking

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Johnny Royale, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Johnny Royale

Johnny Royale Bit Poster

Hi,

I've been lurking around this forum for a little while now and finally decided to join as the information and advice I've seen given is great and I sure could do with more advice!

I'm in the process of changing careers, moving from marketing and design jobs (also I'm a calligrapher in my spare time). I'm interested in security and have been since I was about 10 when my primary school teacher told me about her husbands job as a penetration tester. I'm still undecided of the exact path for security I want to take, but have a strong interest in penetration testing, network security and mobile security. I'm currently studying for my A+, then moving onto N+ and after this the MCSA Server 2008. I want to give myself a good basis to get a feel for what direction I will move into and have a solid grounding.

I've set myself up with some virtual machines and virtual networks at home to just jump straight into so I can play around with/ break them. Also been learning Python through MIT OenCourseWares.

My plan is to start low in terms of jobs and pick up as much experience as possible and try to progress as much as I can.

In the future my plan is to look at some of the security focused training like the Security+, GIAC, Tiger Scheme & CISSP but those are a little way off currently.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to post so look forward to speaking to you all more!

Thanks,

Johnny Royale

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCSA Server 2008
  2. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Hello and welcome.

Definitely sounds like you have it all mapped out. A+ and N+ are good starting points and will give you a solid foundation to build on.

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Welcome to Certforums

Thanks for coming out of the depths ha ha You will get a lot more out of the site if you stop lurking I think. That and build up your network of fellow IT professionals :)

Cheers
    Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Johnny Royale

Johnny Royale Bit Poster

Thanks Jim, Reverb & nXPLOSi,

Yeah, lurking is good for a little bit of info but I'm sure there is a lot more I can get out of the site and community sans-lurking! :biggrin

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    jk2447 likes this.
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Welcome. Sounds like you have a very solid plan. Look forward to seeing that develop.
    I'm currently working on some Cisco, but the CEH is on my radar.

If only so that during the next reunion event when people ask what I do, I can wink and say 'I'm a penetration expert'.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  8. Johnny Royale

Johnny Royale Bit Poster

Haha, nice!

I've been meaning to make a push and commit myself to this path for some time but it's taken a while to come round, looking forward to how my plans workout.

I'm interested in the CCNA as well though I hear it's going to be getting more complicated soon, though I guess this really shouldn't matter if you want the knowledge! CEH is another as well but I want to get the experience and grounding stuff first. Work work work!

9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums. Good to see you here.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...