Here Goes...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Fantomas, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Fantomas

Fantomas New Member

Hi everyone

Well, my copy of the 70-271 Self Paced Training Kit landed with me today so here we go. Wow !! I knew it was going to big but that is a large book. So now I'm panicking about getting started with the studying. I am fretting that I'll not be able to retain all the information etc. I've made a start on reading the first few pages but I'm beating myself up a bit because I am struggling to know what to make notes of etc. I have got a couple of years of IT experience but havent done any studying in a long time.

Can anybody give me any advice on how to get started with this monster !!

Thanks for reading !

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009
  2. colz1234

colz1234 Bit Poster

not really advice as such, just a few tips i spose

i have recently completed the 70-271 and 70-272 exams, and found that a lot of the book is made up of so called 'filler material', if that makes sense.

I have not got any real world experience, am waiting for my first job still, but i skipped a lot as i already knew a fair bit of it, and as you have got a couple of years experience, i expect that you will also know a fair amount too.

It doesn't look as bad as it seems. Just start going through it, and you will be at the end before you know it.

Certifications: COMPTIA A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA MCSE
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

If you look at the book you'll see quite a large part is taken up with the objective review questions, which are repeated on the CD.
    The 271 is easy to split into domains (there's a key at the front of the book) since most chapters only cover one domain. After going through the whole thing to get an overview of the material I concentrated on one domain at a time.
    Nail the objective reviews first before moving on to the practice exams. The actual exams are much closer to the difficulty level in the objective reviews than the practice exams.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How do you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I don't ;)
    But Michael got the right idea- just read a chapter at a time. It might seem like it's a big book (well, it is) but once you start you won't want to stop :D

6. Fantomas

Fantomas New Member

Thanks for all the support guys. I am just going to concentrate on each bit at a time rather trying to get ahead of myself. Time to get my virtual machine setup this weekend and start reading. Wife and kids permitting !!

Once again thanks for all your support and positive messages.