HELPDESK OPENING IN GLASGOW - immediate start

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jakamoko, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Oh I always thought they did. I have lost count the amount of times I went for jobs only to be told "sorry the job went internally":x

Certifications: A few.
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That happens, even when companies do intend to hire externally... someone internal applies, and they're seen as a good fit. Internal people are a known quantity... you know what you're getting with them because you've worked with them for weeks/months/years. In contrast, most "external" folks are hired after meeting with them for a total time of less than one work day (and sometimes only a couple of hours).

So... given the choice... who would you tend to hire? The devil you know, or the devil you don't?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My company doesn't operate like that at all.
    It takes about 2 months to get a job spec/budget etc. approved, it then gets advertised internally, and if after 3 months (maybe longer), it must get approved again to be sent out externally.

I found my current job internally, but a guy that joined after me, did quite a few months later as he had was an external candidate with the job originally up for grabs at the same time mine was.

So from the start of a manager saying "I need someone", no-one internal wanting the job, external advertising and a quick response and interview and then a standard 4 weeks notice period - you could be looking at 7-8 months!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293