Helpdesk jobs- good or bad?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ee01akk, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ee01akk

ee01akk Bit Poster

Well ok I wouldn't say support is all that bad. There are good days when there's lots of interesting things to do, but most of time is just spent clockwatching tbh.

I guess I prefer more of a hands-on support role maybe even field-based visiting customer sites getting my hands dirty, which I'm more used to, than just sitting at a desk typing commands into a system or listening to some user waffle in some half-broken english.

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

perhaps so. but you have two choices: 'suffer' in a job like this until you find another job more to your liking, or leave the job.

Many people would kill for just the job you are in right now. what would you prefer: a boring IT job as a stepping stone, or no IT job at all?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. ee01akk

ee01akk Bit Poster

Since I have a mortgage and bills to pay, I can't leave this job or any job for that matter.

So just ignore me, I guess I'm a whinger.:(

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Everyone's had jobs they hate. and the reasons you are annoyed at your job is perfectly valid. for you.

I think what people (and I) object to is your across the board recommendation to avoid helpdesk like the plague. Novices in IT sometimes think they can afford to be picky when the reality is that they often cant. Not to start with. They need to take whatever they can get that classifies as IT. recommending otherwise for them reinforces their belief that they should be earning £30k, a company car, and benefits from day one, doing a job they are woefully underqualified for. If they are lucky enough to get that from day one, then Kudos to them, but it shouldnt be an expectation coming into the industry. Do you see where we are coming from?

As I said earlier too, some people thrive on helpdesk. Im not directing this directly at you when i say this, but: Dont ever look down on someone in a helpdesk role. Some may just be starting out, and could be much more knowledgable than you. Some may have plenty of capability, but really enjoy the connection they get from that level of employment. Same goes for any role to be honest (hell, it even applies outside of IT. NEVER look down on a cleaner, or the guy serving in McDonalds, they may just be earning some extra cash while they study for something). Bottom line, treat everyone as at least as intelligent as you until proven otherwise.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

a nice line, I think i tell my driver that one .)

I think with helpdesk you got to be a talkly person & bit full of beans.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You control you. Get another job. Problem solved. :)

...at least, until you're unhappy with THAT one...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Just about to get my teeth stuck in the my first IT 1st line job next week.

Was made up about gaining entry into the IT market having little or no background. This site has reieforced that with the postive vibes being directed at the role and route to progress.

Did'nt realise how just many people struggle to get entry to the IT Field till reading these forums so gonna make the most of the opportunity!

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  8. BosonMichael

The first job is usually the hardest. :) Major congrats on clearing that hurdle!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. ally_uk

ally_uk Nibble Poster

I would say use the free time to also expand your knowledge, get a copy or vmware and linux and get tinkering!, secondly learn how to script instead of wasting hours sat at your desk presumably browsing the net devise a plan analyze your I.T skills for areas of weakness and improve on them.

Invest i a few books on I,T subjects you are interested in for myself it's linux I have books and books on webmin, samba, Apache, setting up dedicated servers. If I have quiet time at work I plow through a book and experiment.

10. JoshC

JoshC Bit Poster

I started off in a company with absolutely no commerial experience in IT, just what I had learnt from home
    did helpdesk and supported the network for several years, now a IT manager in another company

11. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I have just got into my first IT job, as basically a helpdesk support, and I enjoy it, I wished there was more work to do! (it's summer so everyone is away so nothings broke ((which could be a good thing ? but not for me haha)) so I have little to do).

It's about the right type of employer, helpdesk roles vary, you can have one person who answers the phone day in day out and types "Cannot open email" into a box and it gives a list of set solutions. for instance the Itunes helpline or you can have a small technical support team for a company which is hands on, remote desktop, shipping laptops around, buying new plotters, installing memory, google solutions and generally learning how to fix something as opposed to just some set solution bollocks.

Best metaphor is

Battery chickens as opposed to free range. One is some mass call centre crap and the other is direct employee helping. I couldn't sit and answer the phone all day like the people who work for AOL do but as helpdesk for employees of the company I work for, I enjoy. the day goes quickly, I know most people on informal terms, I have a laugh down the phone and its all good.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  12. BosonMichael

There's always work to do when nothing's broke... like, documentation, for example. Can be boring... but you'll wish you had it when things ARE broke!

Besides... you'll look extremely self-motivated to your supervisors if you're the one who suggests the productive use of your "slow time". 8)

13. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

... I used to spend a lot of my 'free' time at work creating websites for friends/family for extra cash... but hey!

It's always good to learn something new (even more so if it benefits your job!) so I'd recommend reading and messing with an aspect of IT which you've never tried before.

For me its currently Java and ASP.net. I used to mess around with Q-Basic a lot back in the day and it reminds me of that for some unknown reason... I'm really surprised at how much I'm enjoying it!

Suffice it to say, you may be surprised! Give it a whirl. :D

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA