helpdesk job no experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ddan, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Hi guys I have a couple of questions I currently have a bsc degree and I am looking for a helpdesk support role but I do not have any help desk experience, but have a large amount of customer service experience. Does anyone have any tips they can give me to make my CV stand out. I would also like to ask if it’s worth undertaking certifications like a+, any feedback will be appreciated thanks guys.

2. frankcastle

frankcastle Bit Poster

Yes, you can look for taking A+ certification . Prepare a resume which completely fits Help desk job and prepare well for the interview questions. This will be an added advantage for you.
    best luck.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: CCNA
  3. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Thank you for your response is it worth creating a cover letter even though I have no experience? If so do you have any tips on key things I should mention?

4. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Customer service is the same as helpdesk. You're expected to support a customer/client/staff either face-to-face, phone, email or remotely.

Having any experience dealing with people in a business/retail sector will help you regardless of the title. Providing you know how to help them of course. 8)

A+ is a great way to start a career in IT, it will provide you all the fundamental knowledge which will continue for the following years. Technology is always changing but the basics are still very much the same.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

+1 for the A+.

On your CV I would emphasise your customer service skills as well as your methodical approach to resolving peoples issues and escalation, then its just a case of applying for every relevant job you can find.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Im in a similar position to yourself....Loads of customer service experience but no IT experience yet, looking for a helpdesk job but i do have the A+ under my belt and just doing the Network+ now. Just gotta keep plugging away and applying lol :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  7. will.owen.jones

will.owen.jones New Member

Hi Ddan,

Quick question, I take it your Bsc is in a computing field? I assume it is and therefore you moving forward with this and getting your foot in the door. Writing a covering letter is always a good idea as long as you keep it to the point. Think about why you want to work in IT and put that to paper to show your enthusiasm.

Whenever I recruit for our help desk team the most important thing I look for is people that can think logically, i.e. problem solve. Can communicate proficiently, both in 'tech speak' to the second line team and also 'user' speak to the person requiring support, thats where customer service comes in, so make sure you push your previous experience but show how you can apply it to an IT job. Ideally you will need some additional tech role on your cv, a cert looks good when someone else doesnt have one but it may not help you get your foot in the door as you wouldn't have applied it. Look at whether there are any charities or local schools etc you can volunteer to help it a tech role, it sounds odd but these roles do exist. Failing that, sell your services to the local community, stick an advert in the local shop offering your services as basic pc repair. It will help you gain your own confidence for when you walk into an interview that you know what you are talking about.

I hope this all helps.

Certifications: MCP MCSA MCTS
    WIP: MCITP:EMA 2010
  8. jvanassen

Will.owen.jones

What you have put there is what i have thought about doing but i was just a bit weary about doing it as im only A+ certified and i am confident in what i do but i just have this thing in the back of my mind of what if i go to someone's house and they have a problem that i don't know how to get around....How would u word the advertisement etc?

9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Free Estimate (so you can evaluate without committing to a fix)
    No fix-no fee (in case you were wrong in your first evaluation of the issue and there is no Plan B)
    Unfortunately a lot of people seem to offer the same thing on a local basis. I've built up a little following just by word of mouth and that's what you need to aim for.

A note of caution: If you screw it up, you are responsible. If you even think about touching that laptop/PC, anything that goes wrong with it in the next three years will be your fault, cos you did something, they don't know what you did but it was definitely you that borked it.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Firstly I would like to say thank you for the feedback guys ,in response to your question will owen yes it’s a computing degree. Guys if you do not mind I have some more questions if I choose to study the a+ certification using the home study method how much hours of studying would be needed? Which company is best to do this certification with? Is it worth stating on my cv that I plan to undertake this certification? and does anyone know any good internship websites that advertise it support I know two good internship websites but I have never seen it support on either .Thanks in advance guys.

11. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

I was also wondering if someone could look at my cv and give me their opinion on areas I may need to improve or include thank you.

12. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Anyone?

13. jvanassen

Thanks for the advice mate, have just bought a domain and created a small site so i look a bit more professional and if people are unsure on calling me they can always check out more information about me first on there. Will probably sort it out a bit more in the new year though as need to focus on studying for Network+ as ive already had to reschedule it once, was due to do it on wednesday but just havent got far enough with my studying. Have rescheduled it to end of January now, that should be more than enough time (i hope) lol

Thanks again

(Sorry ive ignored your comments Ddan but i wouldnt really want to start handing out advice on CVs as im in the same position as you, im not the right person to be giving that sort of advice lol)

14. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

15. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I you want people to look over your CV, take out any details that will identify you (your name etc, companies names you have worked for etc), start a new thread asking for comments and attach the CV.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  16. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

thanks mate.