HELP!!!! XP version a product key?

Discussion in 'Software' started by PAT, Dec 13, 2006.

1. PAT

PAT Banned

I’m after a program that will tell me which XP version a product key is for? thanks

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Pat,

I am not aware of any program that you can enter the product key and will output the version, sorry.

I would have thought that although it might not be against MS policy, they wouldn't want it availible for piracy reasons.

For all customers who have had a hard drive fail or other similar disaster, I quote for a retail version of the OS.

Sorry i couldn't be more help.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

AFAIK there is no easy way to tell what a XP product key is for.

Perhaps if you tell us a bit of background to this we might have a better clue?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Chris-H

Chris-H Bit Poster

I think you can only get tools to tell you what key was used to install XP.

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It is possible to extract the product key from an activated version of XP but as far as I'm aware it isn't possible to extract the product from the key.

It is an unusual situation to be in, having a key and not knowing what it is for. Unless you're an MSDN subscriber in which case it is an everyday occurrence...

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

PAT,

The best program to tell you which XP version a product key is for is to type it in during the installation phase of the XP operating system.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

LOL!!!:biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

R.H.Lee,

Can I download that program from the Internet? :p

Classic!!! Bonus points for that one!!! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You know what - thats a funny quip from r.h.lee, but its actually a pretty good idea. Find a spare box and install a copy of XP on it - then see if it accepts the license key when you get to the GUI part of the install. If it accepts the key, just vape the box - you haven't actually installed it and registered it because you've never gone through the full installation stage, so (probably*) haven't invalidated your license agreement.

Admittedly, with all the different types of XP that there are product keys for (XP, XPSP1, XPSP2, XP Home, XP MCE etc etc) you might end up 'pseduo-installing', like, 15 copies of the OS before you find out which one its for...

* I said 'probably'. I never actually got past about page 413 of the EULA - but I'm sure thyat Freddy will point out my error if I've got it wrong :twisted:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I love that seasonal Avatar enhancement Zeb, made me ROFLMAO :twisted:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

:)

Glad you enjoyed it Pete - almost as much fun making that as watching MONTYYYYYYY rip through the Aussie tail yesterday despite the ball not turning more than an inch all day. What on Earth are they going to do when the track gives a bit of spin on day 4 & 5?

PS: I really, REALLY hate xmas. they've started taking the piss out of me at work - I got in yesterday morning and someone had printed out the word 'Scrooge' and pasted it on my monitor. We're going out for our xmas lunch tomorrow afternoon - to some posh restaurant in the West End. They came round asking about the xmas music we wanted - each person got to pick one track and, after they denied me the opportunity to pick a Carcass track I requested five minutes of utter silence as a protest...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Xmas - bah humbug :p

PS - I presume the first paragraph had something to do with cricket :blink :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)