Help with MCDST

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dancewithlife, Aug 14, 2007.

1. dancewithlife

dancewithlife New Member

Big hello to all you clued up people hope you can help me, great site loads of info a lot of which has baffled me!

I am at wanting to get into IT but am a little stuck at where to start. I dont have a great deal of experience. I have done CLAIT (long time ago) and more recently ECDL and that is as far as it goes, however, I do work in an environment where I liase with out IT people daily as we house the servers in our office and so are faced with proplems all the time where we have to assist them.

I was thinking about doing the MCDST but wondered if I needed to do courses prior to attempting this one.

I have looked at a lot of places that offer the MCDST and also read on this site of people who just read the books and then did the courses.

Would it be possible to buy the books and work my way through them or do I need to actually do a course? I work 12 hour night shifts with lots of time to study so thought this would be an ideal oppurtunity to study and get my foot on the ladder so to speak.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

The MCDST can certainly be done by studying books.

Have you considered the A+ and Network+ certifications as well?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Hi

I passed my MCDST using the Microsoft Press books and CBT Nuggets videos.

If you are use to using Windows XP. Installing and setting up, plus you have your ECDL but the books cover setting up E-Mail accounts.

Hope you go for it if you have lots time to study.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA