Help with employment choices - regular posters please help - thanks!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by hiddenfromview, Oct 14, 2011.

1. hiddenfromview

hiddenfromview New Member

Hello all,

I'm a regular on here but don't want to post under my normal tag so not to link to me.

I've been doing a server support role with deskside support for the last 3 years and on about £24k (last year got up to £30k with telephone support work and a little bit of overtime but this is not guaranteed).

I've been asked to do a role in 3rd line in my company, but my company have a hard time recognising any promotion in salary increases (I have seen it and so has my current, and possibly future, manager). I have spoken to the 3rd line manager who says that a starting salary would normally be about £35k. He is reallly keen on me joining the team and if I didn't care about the salary as I had just won the lottery he'd take me yesterday.

Due to the co. being tight on the wallet, there is a good chance that even if I join the team I wouldn't get a pay rise. So doing a 3rd line job at £24k while the rest of the team are on £35k+. The pay rises in the co. are 1-2% a year if at all but I would always be a big step behind the rest that probably would never be matched. After a while, I'd get overtime and telephone support too but always be behind others.

At the moment I have reached the peak at what I can do and have little other movement choices with my co and to progress further I would need to leave. This would be a massive step and learning curve but I'd be massively penalised for it - to the tune of about £500 per month in my back pocket compared to my colleagues.

I'm not sure what my end game is, 3rd line was definitely a goal and would be absolutely great to be up there with the high-flyers, I'd like to be able to compare myself to Pheonix one day!

Thougts please people - what would you do? What conditions would you set yourself? Any help at all????

Thanks

2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

If I didn't have 3rd line experience on the C.V then I would do it for some months and if I didn't get moved onto the same wages I would just move on, after all your goal was to reach 3rd line and you would have achieved that and I'm sure it was never in your plan to just stay at 3rd, onward and upward.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I usually try to look for 2 things in parallel - more money or more experience. Either of them is step up but in my opinion more experience is better than more money. Let me explain.

If your experience is on lets say 24k pa level and somehow you've managed to land a job that pays 35k doing the same stuff. Where do you think you can move from there? You're surely not experienced enough to apply for 40k+ job (your experience is worth 24k originally, remember). You will probably end up taking a pay cut to gain more experience.

It's different if you're underpaid though (just to make it clear). So if you're on 24k but the job you do is worth 35k than taking the same job for 35k is a good choice.

On the other hand if you take the 3rd line role for the same money therefore making you underpaid, few months later it's going to be easy to land a job that pays more. Now you've got experience.

This also put you in a position that at any point in time if you don't like the job you can look for something else. If you're overpaid (for your level of experience) it's really hard to move (as it always is to take a pay cut)

My 2 cents.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

(Am I considered a regular poster?)

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
    danielno8 likes this.
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm with the others - use it for the experience and then if you aren't happy with the money at least your boss will know and hopefully understand why you want to move on.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think it depends on your nature as a person.

Some people are happy to take on extra responsibilities and challenges without expecting any extra reward. Others sit back and say 'not doing that unless I get paid'.

All I would say is that if you don't take every opportunity that comes your way (and several times I have moved onward/upward for LESS money), then you're never going to get anywhere.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. hiddenfromview

hiddenfromview New Member

Thank you for your thoughts - I've spoken to the wife and we both think the same thing as you do - go for it!

7. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Just seen this now.....glad you have came to that conclusion, as that is also what i would recommend. Good Luck!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Might as well say congrats on your new promotion 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010