Help with choice of A Plus Course

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by randil23, Jul 27, 2010.

1. randil23

randil23 New Member

Hey guys and gals am new to this site i have been recommend this forum by a friend. I am looking for some advice please.
    I am looking to go into computer hardware i have been told i need to take my a+ course i have looked around and there are so many. I am currently working full time and i would love to retrain with out leaving my job. I am looking to do some voluntary work in a computer shop at weekends to gain experience. I need help guys and you are my last choice before i convince myself that i am destined for a job for life in a office stuck to a phone all day. please help me:blink

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

This is my opinion of the main methods of study:
    Distance learning:- An absolute minefield of unscrupulous companies looking to sell poor/braindumped material for a ludicrous amount of cash. There are genuine ones out there but they're difficult to find. At the end of the day you're paying a massive amount of cash to self-study, most of these companies do not provide the promised tutor support.
    Local college:- Normally cheaper than distance learning and having the chance to regularly quiz your tutor and maybe get some hands on would make it my choice if I felt I needed a formal structure to my studying. The only downside to these is the length of most courses. I think anyone who has a genuine interest and aptitude should be able to pass their exams while gaining a good understanding of the subject in less than 6 months, which seems to be the norm for these courses.
    Self-study:- This is my weapon of choice. It's a fraction of the cost of the other methods, has all the flexibility you need and trains you to go and find things out for yourself (an invaluable trait in a support tech).

I'd always advise trying self-study first. Even if you decide it's not for you after a month, you still have a month's worth of studying and a supplementary study source for your time/money.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. randil23

randil23 New Member

Thanks for the advice. i am leaning move towards learning myself any ideas what books and materals i would need. i was think of buying some faulty laptops off ebay and doing them up while studying.

4. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I did the course at night school which worked for me. The certifaction exams are not included in the course you have to pay and sit them at a testing center.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Self study is the way to go with the A+. Get a good book Mike Myers or the Sybex book (probably the best ones for A+) and a PC to learn on. The other alternative as pointed out is college. HP/Cisco (can't remember which) offer (or used to) a course called IT Essentials 1 which closly matches the A+ material. I did that course a long time ago but I still think it's around. When I did it they allowed you to go at your own pace. Personally I didn't get a lot out of it and would probably opt for the self study route.

As for training providers I wouldn't personally opt for that route as it's overly expensive to do an A+ with a TP.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

+1.

Just completed my A+ through self study and I would say I am not a natural student in any way, plus I (like a lot of people on here) had a lot of external factors, working 6 days a week, young family etc etc.

To summarise, buy the books, get stuck in, apply yourself and stick at it and you will do fine.
    £20-40 for books, £200ish for exams, biggest expense is your time.
    The choice is yours, but all the best with whatever you decide. You will find ample help here no matter what you choose.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Self study is the way to go. See all those certifications in my sig? All of them were gained through self-study and/or on-the-job experience. You can do the same! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. randil23

randil23 New Member

Hey people thank for the advice i am unable to find A+ book for Sybex book. Mike myers one i have found adn bought.thanks for all the advice and if anyone has more great also any ideas were i have find laptops or pc to work on possible ebaylet me know thanks.