Help - some advice needed

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Million, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Million

Million New Member

Hi, im new to the forum, and ive read quite a bit, i was wondering if any 1 out there could give me a little advice.
    I have a degree in computer science from back in 2000.

i never really entered the IT sector as at the time i was running a business, so when i graduated i more or less just carried on with with my business, and besides in the rural area i was living at the time, there was no IT work, i more or less just did the degree for academic reasons.

Now im 36 and fancey getting a job in IT after years of doing other stuff.

I would like to go down the route of either networking or network security and was wondering what Cert would be good for me to start with. saying this, any IT role would be good to start with.

I am fimilair with networks, servers, databases, firewalls ect, and can also to a certain extent understand code, altho i havnt written any since my days at uni.

I would be very happy to teach myself for these exams at home.

so if any 1 has any advice please let me know

thanks in advance
    m

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Your best route would be to start with the CompTIA Certificates A+ then the N+

Here is a link to their website:

http://certification.comptia.org/

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Yes start with the A+ and N+ then MCDST as your first certs and don't go any further untill you have appropriate experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Million

Million New Member

Excellent, and thanks for the advice, my next question is this.

Im assuming that i buy the Test directly from comptia?

Are there any 1 else who sells these test, or are comptia the cheapest method?

Are these recognised Quals for this area?

Thanks again in advance

5. Naive

Naive Byte Poster

ComTIA A+ / N+ are a vendor neutral, so they are recognised everywhere. You'd basically need to buy the study material relating to the exam and then book your exam at your nearest test centre. For more information have a look here for the A+ and here for the N+

Also I think you are eleigible for discount in your vouchers which I'm sure GBL will know about :thumbleft

WIP: MCDST
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You pay either pearsonvue or prometric for the 2 exams for the A+ and take the tests at one of their test centres you will find your nearest one on their websites.

If you pay those companies directly you pay £111 + vat per exam however you can buy discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolotions.com and select international vouchers you pay £107 per exam with no VAT to pay. When you recieve the voucher codes you book your exams through pearsonvue or prometric and instead of using your credit card you use the voucher codes.

you end up saving about £52 :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If you're looking to just start out you will have to start at the bottom of the ladder. you're unlikely to get a position in network security unless you can prove that you know the essentials first. you may already know a lot of the stuff, but without actual employment experience to back it up no one will take you seriously.

In terms of employment positions start looking for roles which will let you get a whole load of experience on a whole load of areas, i.e. IT Support technician. From my experience you are more likely to get that level of exposure in a smaller sized company, or perhaps a school.

In terms of bits of paper, again, start at the bottom. Look at the Comptia A+ / Network+, and/or the MCDST certs. You may find them fairly basic and straight forward if you already know your stuff, but that simply means you should be able to pick them up without too much effort, allowing you to gain employment and start developing your skills at a higher level.

8)

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly this. :) Can't add much more to that, except to welcome you to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. jimmy_2k

jimmy_2k Bit Poster

Schools are a good way to start thats where I did, though if not and you can get to a city you could go the Service/Helpdesk route to get a feel for the industry and get reconised within the business.

Certifications: MCDST, 70-290
    WIP: 70-270, 70-291
  12. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

I would say do the network+ course and then start on your ccna.As you want to do networking the A+ course would be a waste of time, also considering you have pc experience/qualifications already.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  13. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The CCNA's not gonna do you any good without first getting real-world experience, mate.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

What he said:biggrin

Hello and welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+