Help!! Server Issue!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rusty155, Mar 28, 2007.

1. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

Hello people! I could really use your help!!

I have come into work 3 days running now to find one of our servers showing the following message:

[​IMG]

After looking in event viewer, it appears that this is occuring at roughly 18.40 every evening. The last entry in the system event log is as follows:

[​IMG]

Now, I am currently having to reboot the Server every morning and perform a manual backup during the day, as the overnight scheduled one obviously won't run!

Where do I start??!!! The machine is a dual processor P3 1100 with 1gb ram, and no it is not in warranty! 8O

Help. Please!

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Has anything changed on the server recently?

Has anything changed nearby the server recently? (electrical, etc?)

8)

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

The event log picture you're showing is saying that the server can't get the time from a time server, so I would suggest it's not that. As SGUK asks, any changes

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

Nothing has changed at all! It's very puzzling!

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

What sort of HDD does it have?

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Might be worth staying at work to see if there is anything unusual happening at that time. Have a look around the area too. Any sudden building going on? Possible wireless interference?

Also go to the device manager and do a scan for any hardware changes. From here you can also see if any hardware is not functioning properly.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Not sure if it would matter, but are there any cleaners etc in the building about that time?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Is it on filtered power? (ala UPS) or unfiltered power? (ala Plug Socket in wall)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies.

It has three 73g scsi's in a RAID 5 array - all appears ok.

10. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

It's on filtered power, and yes, there may well be cleaners in the building at that time but they do not have access to the server room. There are two further identical servers, both of which are fine. They all run from the same UPS which has plenty of spare capacity.

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

What should the server be doing around that time? Any Backup jobs running from it? :blink

12. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

I have seen that message before when a defective RAM module has been present in the machine.

Try taking the RAM out a stick at a time and see what happens.

See this page for more detail:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315223

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  13. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

It shouldn't be doing anything in particular. There won't be any users around and all of the clients are shutdown at about 5pm. The backups are not scheduled to run until 11.30pm.

My initial thought was the ram - will have to remove a module tonight and see what happens. Haven't got any spare at the moment so might have to see how it copes with 512mb:eek: for a bit!

14. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

A tip which I did when I had the problem....I too had another couple of machines the same spec....I took the ram out of the faulty machine, put the entire lot into another server of the same spec, meanwhile taking the ram out of that server, and putting it into my "faulty" server - I waited and watched to see what happened with the switched RAM, and true to the plan, the second server then failed - albeit with a slightly different error if I remember rightly. So I ordered new RAM modules and have not had it happen again...

all depends on how buisness critical the servers are of course, as to whether you can muck about like I did.

good luck pal

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  15. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

rusty155,

I found this webpage at Microsoft Technet that mentions the "The NTP server didn't respond" description. It states that is caused by "If an error with synchronization occurs, event ID 11 is logged." As you may or may not know, NTP stands for "Network Time Protocol." As you also may or may not know, the United States has a different Daylight Savings Time start date of 11 March 2007. I noticed the computer name is "SJC-SVR-02." I know that "SJC" corresponds to the airport code for "San Jose International Airport" located in San Jose, California, USA.

Questions:
    1. What NTP server is this computer "SJC-SVR-02" using?
    2. Is this occuring on a Windows 2000 server?
    3. Does the "SJC" in the computer name of "SJC-SVR-02" refer to San Jose, California, USA?
      • If so, how are the people in San Jose connected to this server which I assume is located near "Dorchester, Dorset" based on your profile information? Terminal Services?
      • Also if so, have you installed the "Daylight Savings Time" patch to it?

By using MSN search using the blue screen text, I found the following link that may be relevant: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/222973

Source:
    1. Configuring the Time Service to Log When the Time is Changed - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307937
    2. How Windows Time Service Works - http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...28f4-4272-a3d7-7f44ca50c0181033.mspx?mfr=true
    3. Mineta San Jose International Airport - http://www.sjc.org/
    4. Daylight Savings Time Help and Support Center - http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  16. rusty155

rusty155 Bit Poster

Thanks for all the help and suggestions people - it was indeed the ram. Switched it over with that from a different server, and came in the next day to discover the same error on the new server, with original one all fine!

Got some more on order but will have to manage for a few more days with resetting it every morning and performing a manual backup as I forgot that the memory has to be installed as matched pairs, so cannot remove the faulty module!

Oh well, least it was simple in the end!