HELP: Security+ SY0-101 Study Material

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Neil, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Hey Guys!

For those of you who PASSED the Security+ SY0-101 exam, can you please tell me which study resouces you used (books, exam software, videos, other stuff), and which ones you highly recommend and found to be helpful?

I'm not sure which text to use because a friend recommended the MS Press one, but when I checked the reviews for it on Barnes & Noble and Amazon, people say that the book is not "complete" and that there were a lot of topics in the exam that the book did not cover. The Sybex book also had mixed reviews. So as far as study text is concerned, I'm clueless as to which one to buy :(

As for exam software, I'm definitely gonna go for Transcender, as it was very useful in my Net+ studies. But I'm open up to suggestions.

I don't want to waste money here, so that's why I'm asking you guys for advice and recommendations on study material........cuz its not like the A+ and Net+ in which everyone readily recommended the Sybex and Mike Meyers book. I believe that this thread is gonna also be useful to others studying for this exam, cuz it will save them from having to ask the same question everytime, and also be an easy reference with study material all in one place.

Thanks in advance for your assistance guys! :thumbleft

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

In contrast to what I usually say, I'd avoid the Sybex book for Security+. BosonMichael has an older version of the Syngress book, and it looks like it's a pretty good book.

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You can check out my post when I passed the Sec+ exam here.

This is what I used:

1. Learnkey CBT
    2. Cramsession study guide (yep freebie)
    3. Preplogic exam software
    4. Syngress Security+ book &
    5. Examcram2 Security+

I do also have to point out that I had already previously studied and passed the 70-298: Designing Security for a Windows Server 2003 Network, so that knowledge also helped a bit.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Ok.....I'll bear that in mind for the Sybex. I heard about Syngress from somewhere....... But I'll definitely check it out! Thanks mate!

5. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Thanks mate! :thumbleft

Learnkey does have a history (in my book) for producing nice CBTs.......I used both their A+ & Net+ ones with Mike Meyers and it was a nice way of relaxing when you're all tired of reading.

We can all use those freebies! :biggrin I'll check out Cramsession........haven't been there in ages!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Neil, when do you plan on taking it? The new version of the exam is out, and I can imagine that the old version won't be around for long...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

The old version retires on July 31, 2009. So if I start studying from now, then I have a good 8 months+ which is more than enough time. My biggest problem is finding a GOOD study text :( BosonJosh and Wagnerk both recommend the Syngress book. What do you recommend? And how do you (and others) rate the Syngress book compared to the Sybex?

The sooner I can decide on a proper text to use, the sooner I can order it and be on my way for studying! :biggrin

8. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Hey Wagnerk, you mentioned you used the LearnKey CBTs, but how would you rate CBT Nuggets? I was checking up both on the net to purchase, so here's the links which show what they cover:

LearnKey: http://www.learnkey.com/store/images/SecurityPlus.asp
    CBT Nuggets: http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=59

Both of them run for 12hrs. But the LearnKey has 4 discs and the session outlines are very detailed, while the CBT Nuggets has 2 discs (and are cheaper) and topics aren't detailed. I can only purchase one. And even though the LearnKey is more expensive, I don't mind as long as it gets the job done. So I just want to get your word on this........

9. Kitkatninja

To tell the truth, I do like both Learnkey as well as CBTNuggets and have had no issues with them, I do rate them both highly (may learnkey slightly higher, but only due to presentation). The only CBT I have not gotten on with was one of Trainsignal's one for a particular exam (but other Trainsignal one's have been ok). As for which one I use, would depend on whether or not work already has them, and if they don't which one I can get cheaper (eg from offer's, sale's, availability, etc). IMO, you can't really go wrong with either of them, just remember to also get a book (I did like Syngress, you can buy the .pdf version direct from Syngress at a cheaper price - then print it out at work :) ) and some practice exams from Boson, Preplogic, Transcender, etc (pick one) :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  10. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Thanks mate! Rep left for the good recommendations! :thumbleft

I already have the Transcender exam for this, and I think I'll go with the LearnKey CBTs. I'll also get the Syngress e-book, cuz it'll be easier to copy and paste study notes! ;)

11. BosonMichael

I also recommend the Syngress book. Josh checked it out based on my recommendation.

That said, I passed the first version of the Security+ exam - the one retiring is the 2nd version, and the new one is the 3rd version. Still, the Syngress book looks to be the one to get.

We're writing a product for the new Security+ exam. I was helping one of the writers with a question he had, so I picked up the Sybex book to see what it had to say... and the first thing I looked at was wrong. Now, I had heard the writer complain that it wasn't very good, but I hadn't seen anything in it until that experience. If that's any indication of the rest of the book, I'd recommend that you avoid the Sybex one (even if they are they publisher of Josh's and my book).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Wow! This is not the first time I'm hearing of errors in Sybex books.........I hear most are in the MCSA/MCSE ones :eek: .......which is a good heads up to avoid in future. And whether they're your publisher or not, does not compensate for inaccurate info in their books. Continue to tell it as it is and call names, cuz inaccuracies like that can jepoardize certification!

Like I said before, I'll take up Wagnerk's advice and get the Syngress e-book instead.......so now I've got my main study text, and I also have my A+, Network+ & Security+ in a Nutshell book (leftover from my Net+ studies :p ), that I'll use for revision. I already have Transcender and LearnKey is on its way, so I guess that I'm pretty much on MY way! :biggrin

Thanks Guys! :thumbleft

13. Kitkatninja

Let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

14. BosonMichael

Not ours! ;) 8)

15. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Nah......this book seems to be getting alot of good reviews. Most are saying it is very well written and easy to understand. Wish you guys wrote the rest, like 270-290-291, cuz those are the ones I was referencing that have a few errors.