Help required getting into IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Chris2005, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Chris2005

Chris2005 New Member

Hi all,

Great forum :)

I'm looking to get into IT, having worked as a database administrator for a number of years. I've got a 2:2 Hons in a Business degree, and I've been wanting to do the MCSE, but have read it may be better to do the A+ /Network+ first, in terms of formal certs.

I have a good understanding of PC's, databases and hardware/installation, know a bit about SQL, and am keen to expand my knowledge....and income, lol! :)

Ideally I'd like to get into Networking.

I've got time to study (at home in the evening) and lots of motivation to make this work.

What I need is some advice on the best route I should be taking, and which books it would be best to buy.

I've read the MCSE Jumpstart book by Lisa Donald, which I found useful but obviously limited and merely designed as a beginner's guide.

Please advise me on the best next step to take,

Many thanks and all the best,

Chris

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Chris,

First of all welcome to CF. You have found the best place for IT in general and speciality in job advice, certs etc.

You have an excellent portfolio already! You will probably sail through A+ and then venture on to N+. With regards to jobs you already have IT experience so start looking!

Best of luck, Boyce :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Chris and welcome to CF :D

As already mentioned, you can't go wrong with the A+ it is the best foundation for progressing into IT. The Mike Myres all in one tome is the bible for the A+. Check out links for it in the A+ forum. From there go for the N+ and then take either the Cisco CCNA route or the Microsoft MCP>MCSA>MCSE route.

The road ahead is a tough one, be prepared for lots of self study along the way.

BTW that jumpstart book is like a pamphlet in comparison to most other study guides or reference books. It is hopeless IMHO.

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings Chris :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  5. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

Hi chris, There a a few things you could do... Personally if you want to get into Networking id go for the MCSE certification.

Good Luck.

Craig

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  6. Chris2005

Chris2005 New Member

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I've purchased the Mike Meyers All-in-One A+ and Network+ books, and am studying them at the moment.

I'm nearly through A+ and getting a good way into Network+ so hopefully take the exams v.soon.

After these, I'll do the Microsoft MCSE and Cisco quals.

Thanks again,

Chris

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hi Chris,

If you have the money, then it may be worth investing in some exam practice software. So far I have used Transcender. They have a very good reputation for producing quality tests that are quuite similar to the real thing. Often I have found their tests harder than the exams themselves which I think is good.

They are also very good for explanations of why the right answer is right and why the wrong answers are wrong. Which is always better to know than just which answer is correct ...

Anyway, good luck with your exams, all the best!

p.s. I think the David Groth book is considered to be the best one for Network+. Myers is supposed to be the daddy for A+ but not as good as Groth for the N+.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada