HELP! New System Overheating!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neil, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

I recently built a system for someone and in the process of testing it out. During this time I noticed that after a while, the system would just shut down. I thought that it was a graphics problem so I checked the settings and it was ok. However the same problem keeps happening. When I checked the BIOS I noticed that the CPU temperature at the time was 115C!!! Then it shut down from there. I opened the system and touched the cpu heat sink and I wouldn't doubt that it was that hot. Its an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor running with 512MB RAM and a Gigabyte mobo with onboard 256MB video. The heat sink and everything is attached properly, but its just that after a while of running the system, the cpu gets hot and the system shuts down.

I've built systems before and never had this problem. My personal system that I built runs no less than 12hrs a day without overheating or any such problems. I'm sure someone here probably experienced or heard of this problem. I have to deliever this system in about 2 days time and I already assured the customer that its working great. The customer by the way studies alot and will be running the system for quite a few hours a day. What can I do to resolve this problem? Why is the cpu heating up so much? Please help out guys I'm panicing here due to the deadline. Thanks in advance.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Maybe you should take the heat sink off and re apply the thermal paste, also do you have a spare heatsink to try the one you have could be faulty.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Node

Node Byte Poster

Tried putting a much more powerfuller fan in? tried adding a higher watt PSU? tried adding some extra fans for ventilation?

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE,
  4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Neil,

How about resetting the CMOS settings to default?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm assuming you're not overclocking... right?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Well I really want to do this, but I don't have any thermal paste. Besides, the heat sink and processor is brand new so I don't think the heat sink is bad.

7. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

The PSU is 500W......don't think I could go higher than that. Customer didn't see the need to add anymore fans, so I don't have any. This problem is more or less "software" related. If you try running 2 SIMPLE tasks at once, the temp rises and it shuts down. This is a very high spec system and this behaviour is very abnormal. Fans is definitely not the answer here...

8. greenbrucelee

you should be able to get some paste in your town somewhere tommorow, maybe you didnt apply enough or not evenly enough.

9. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

I will try this and see what happens. But in what way can this resolve the issue? The fan default settings seems to be quite efficient. I even read the whole mobo manual to make sure. I even installed the fan utilities from the cd and no matter what the settings are, the cpu temp just keeps rising from 47C to 53C to 65C and keeps rising until it shuts down. This happens regardless of how simple the task is that you're running. I'm very scared to deliver this system because I know that the customer will be very angry, unless I can definitely fix it.

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Neil, like everyone else I believe this is to do with the thermal pasting...try getting something thats more solid as it were...hopefully that should sort it...on the other hand, even tho the parts are new sometimes they can be faulty...so bear this in mind too...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you don't have any thermal paste, then how did you install the heat sink? A thermal pad that was included with it?

Did the heat sink come with a fan on it?

Resetting the CMOS settings will reset any modifications that might have accidentally occurred with regards to overclocking, such as voltage increases, which can heat up a processor quickly.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

the way I see it...its not ur fault if the part doesnt perform to what u or they expect...it happens in the world of computers...I still think the CPU is faulty otherwise the heat wouldnt rise at the simplest of tasks...

If the customer is angry about this then just explain to them what u plan to do about this to rectify it...they cant expect it to be perfect all the time...its technology in the end...

13. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Neil,

By resetting the CMOS settings, various CMOS settings for the CPU may be reset to normal settings that may result in the CPU temperature reducing to a safe temperature.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  14. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

No ofcourse not......even though the mobo utilities can do so, I chose not to. Everything here is default. I'm just so scared to deliver this system. Its impossible to run this system for 1hr or more. The biggest disappointment is that everything is top notch. The board is recommended by Gigabyte for gaming, it has onboard 256MB video Nvidia GeForce 6100/nForce 405 chipset. The board model is: GA-M61SME-S2. The cpu is AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.01Ghz (640MB cache) with 512MB RAM. Why is this thing behaving so stupid? There absolutely NO need to be overheating like this. The heat starts rising as soon as you launch the first app. It increases even more when you launch a second app. Could it be the graphics drivers? How can I put less "strain" on the cpu concerning graphics? I'm trying to find the minimum settings without luck. Please don't tell me to add a GPU - cuz the customer won't allow it. Its just needed to do basic everyday stuff and the specs are more than enough to handle that, so why is this happening?

Please help me guys I have 2 days max to fix this :cry:

15. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Well in that case I'll see if I could get some tomorrow. The store tested the cpu so I can't go back to them.

16. greenbrucelee

Actually it was only me who said about the paste.

If the processor isn't covered well enough by the paste then there is nothing to stop the heat from encapsulating the cpu, the whole idea of paste is to ensure good conductivity through the heatsink if the paste is there then it cant go into the heat sink, so it overheats.

17. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

The cpu came with heat sink and fan assembly. The heat sink had a very thin patch of thermal compound on it so I'm guessing that's it. After the guys at the store tested it, they removed it and I had to reassemble it back at home. Some of the thermal paste was left on the cpu and some on the heat sink, however I just installed it as per normal. Could this be the cause? But the heatsink itself gets real hot, so heat is definitely being transferred.

18. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

I understand.......but what can I tell them since I have no clue on how to rectify it? (assuming the thermal paste and resetting the CMOS doesn't work)

19. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

True. However, the heatsink get very hot too so heat IS definitely being transferred. The North Bridge also gets very hot too. So I'm guessing that its not the heatsink, but the whole board........

I just thought of something when I wrote this. The board has a 24pin power connector socket and the PSU supports it, but with 2 separate plugs (the 20pin P1 and another 4 pin). I plugged both in. So is it getting "extra" power that's causing it to overheat the other components???

20. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

simple...replace the CPU...u say the shop tested the CPU...were u there when they tested it and saw what was happening? if u didnt how do u know they tested it? by the way is the motherboard brand new aswell? not that I think that would affect the CPU overheating...but just asking...