help - network+ or server+ ?

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by nn, Oct 5, 2010.

1. nn

nn Nibble Poster

Hi,
    I'm looking for advice from experienced members please..

Recently gained a+ and now I’m hungry to get another comptia cert under my belt but can’t make my mind up which to study for next network+ or server+?
    My career is geared towards hardware so my natural thought is server+ but with network+ expiring end of year would i be better off studying this first or is it only really useful if I was following a network support career path?

Any advice would be helpful guys.

Thanks

Certifications: A+
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The network+ isn't expiring at the end of the year, it just won't be a lifetime cert anymore. The network+ is a worthwhile cert for any tech at the beginning of their career, some knowledge of networks is useful to all of us even those who end up in a pure server role.

I'd recommend grabbing the network+ before the recert policy kicks in, you can then look at the server+ afterwards (possibly) as this is currently not going to be subject to the new recert policy.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Agree, if you want to go down the route of Comptia Certs. Not alot of people go down the route of Server+ (compared to A+ & Network+, but it's a good basic cert to introduce you to Server hardware) :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security