Help Me

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by si2345, May 28, 2007.

1. si2345

si2345 New Member

Hi,

Suppose I have a 2 .NET application. The first, called "BootApp" is called from MS Access via COM. Works as it should. The second, called "PrintEngine" is referenced by "BootApp" as an .NET assembly DLL (signed). This also works - on the developer PC.

But if this constellation is to work on another PC, the "PrintEngine.dll" has to reside in the MS Access folder (Access is the running application in terms that the PrintEngine App.config has to be in that MS Access folder also). Or else I get runtime errors like "type initializer failed...blabla...could not find referenced assembly...".

But leaving some dll's in the MS Access folder is very ugly solution. I guess I could place the DLL's in GAC, but isnt there a way to specify where these DLL's reside? So that I could reference like "c:\assemblies\printEngine.dll" on other PC's?

Hope you get my meaning here

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

:hhhmmm :unsure

3. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

So you have a DLL, you need to store it somewhere and call it. Can't it reside in the project as a reference?

Also, the GAC, wouldn't it make more sense to stick it in there rather than reference it, meaning its signed (hence will work on x64) and its managed then?

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development