Help Me!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Franka, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Franka

Franka New Member

Hi guys and gals im a real newbie when it comes to using forums so I hope I'm doing ok. I found the site simply by chance whilst browsing for certification courses. What a mine field!! All I want to do is learn and get a good job in IT.

Am I asking too much???

Certifications: BSc
    WIP: Cisco
  2. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF.

First things first,lets hear a little about yourself so's you can get the right advice.

Getting qualified and employed in IT are two very different animals and need to be handled respectively.Are you new to IT or have you experience?Actually,you already have experience,since you're using a PC to write your post!

8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  3. Franka

Franka New Member

Hi Mal..

I have been interested in computers for about 15 years and have self taught myself quite alot.. I easily know my way around a computer and most popular apps. As a job I currently sell computer systems for a very large chain of computer superstores (owned by the dixons group!). I am stuck on the wrong side of IT! :cry:

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Franka, welcome to CF :)

Seems to me you're selling yourself a little short here. You work with PCs (OK, retailing, but I assume some product knowledge is expected of you ?) and also you list ECDL in your certifications in your profile. Many people come to this site with little or none of the above, or anything similar, yet go on to make their goals.

I guess from what you say, A+ is going to be the best place to start. We have a board dedicated to this entry-level cert, so why not have a mosy around there and see what you think ?

Good luck :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Then let's get started!!

Have you looked at any certs you are interested in?

Certifications: A+ Network+
  6. Franka

Franka New Member

Thanks Gav I will have a look in at th A+ and see what I come up with.... Do employers look for A+?

7. Franka

Franka New Member

I Have looked at the main MS certs but i really dont know what an employer would be looking for these days? The last thing I would want to do is spend my time studying for something that is not rated as worth having

8. Franka

Franka New Member

I think I have made up my mind... from reading other posts the A+ as a self study option seems like a good sound foundation to start.

Thanks guys!! :D

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

10. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi Franka - Welcome to CF...

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there Franka and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009